PopDaddy
PopDaddy, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Shop owner & tech for 20 yrs.
16917075

on my husqvarna riding mower briggs and stratton engine model 445577 backfires while runni

on my husqvarna riding mower briggs and stratton engine model 445577 backfires while running
Hello I'm PopDaddy and I want to assist you in your DIY project! Let's figure out your challenge today...is it backfiring out of the carburetor or the exhaust? If so, it is a valve(s) adjustment issue.If you know how to set the adjustment, the gap is .004 +- 001 for both valves. If you need further assistance, I can "chat" you through it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

can you give me a general instruction of how to get at the valves and adjust them?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

have I missed the answer somehow ro my reply?

First step is to remove your spark plugs,and valve covers. You will need a few open end wrenches and a flat type feeler gage ( set at .004 ) and maybe a "torx" or Allen set It is probably easiest to see it done so I'm sending you a link to a video that I like. This is for a single cylinder, just repeat for a twin. I'm available if you need more detailed instruction even after you give me a rating. Let me know how it goes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGkn0jR9RJM

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the valves were properly set at .004 but engine still backfires out of the carburator. What could cause that?

Through the carb, it could be a sheared fly wheel key, which upsets the proper timing when the flywheel magnet passes the coil. You will need to remove the top cover on the engine and the big nut on the end of the crankshaft. A puller is best to break the flywheel free, but before you do that, you might be able to see if the keyway on the crankshaft is offset from the keyway on the flywheel.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It seems to be smoking out the right valve cover when rhe engine gets hot

what color is the smoke?