Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.
18770454

I have a Tecumseh 6 HP Engine 0HH60-71181D on a Go kart I recently

Customer Question

I have a Tecumseh 6 HP Engine 0HH60-71181D on a Go kart I recently bought at a garage sale.

The engine was hard to start. Once started it would surge to high RPMs (wheels spinning almost full speed), with occasional backfiring. I bought a new 640025 Carb and installed it. I am having the same problems.

I disconnected the linkage to the governor arm, and allowed the carb damper to close almost completely. (I took off the air cleaner and looked inside) The engine went to a somewhat smooth low RPM idle, and the clutch disengaged and allowed the wheels to not turn. It would soon die.

When I hook it all back up, it is like the engine is racing at full throttle again. I disconnected the accelerator cable to ensure it wasnt hanging up and it remained at full throttle. The throttle attached to the side of the engine has no control over the RPMs. The linkage looks good and moves well, but I can open it all the way up, or let it return all the way down (to idle position) but it has no effect on the idle speed.

It has a brand new carb, new plug, new air cleaner, and fresh gas. It seems like the engine is getting too much fuel and is flooding out. The idle adjustment screw on the carb does nothing either, as it touches nothing.

Is there another adjustment I am missing, or is something hooked up wrong, or is there vacuum leak, or what? I am definitely not a small engine expert, but i am somewhat mechanically inclined. I am more comfortable working on larger engines. Please help.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 4 years ago.

Ranwell1 :

Hi

Ranwell1 :

To start with.....Here is the complete parts list for your engine.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=tecumseh&mn=OHH60-71181D

Ranwell1 :

Pa

rt of the problem could be that the governor gear..(item number 82 & 83 in the picture on this list)
http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=tecumseh&mn=OHH60-71181D&dn=EOHH505171181D-EN

Ranwell1 :

These governor gears a known to break or melt inside the engine. To get to these you will have to remove the base plate of the engine. Be carful so that parts do not fly out of the engine when you take the base plat off.

Ranwell1 :

Also the problem could be that the governor arm may not be adjusted correctly.

Ranwell1 :

Here is a COMPLETE service manual for your engine. This should give you some more information and ideas.

http://www.smallenginesuppliers.com/html/engine-specs/tecumseh/Tecumseh_4-Cycle_OHV_Engines_Service_Information.pdf

Ranwell1 :

The manual should help you find out if you have the linkage hooked up correctly as well. It also will show you how to adjust the governor. IT also can help you replace the governor gear just in case that happens to be the problem. Make sure that you try EVERYTHING ELSE before you tear down the engine to check the governor gear.

Ranwell1 :

If you need any more help with this, you can contact me here at this question...even after you have given me a GOOD rating.

.......................

"Please leave a GOOD rating for me as that is the only way I get paid for my time.You may also consider sending a bonus if I have been helpful. If you cannot give me one of the highest ratings, then please do not rate me AT ALL until we discuss this answer further and you are happy with my answer".

Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 4 years ago.

Hi

Part of the problem could be that the governor gear..(item number 82 & 83 in the picture on this list)

These governor gears a known to break or melt inside the engine. To get to these you will have to remove the base plate of the engine. Be careful so that parts do not fly out of the engine when you take the base plat off.

-----------------

.......................

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I just got around to taking the engine apart and the governor is fine. I am back at square one. I lost the compression release spring off the camshaft and have to buy a new housing seal.

Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 4 years ago.
OH, MY

I don't think that you can buy that spring separately. I believe that you have to purchase the complete camshaft.

As I said before, there are several things that can cause your problem. it could be the governor arm adjustment (SEE MANUAL)

It also could be an AIR LEAK (Through one of the seals or a gasket.

It also could be a bad carburetor shaft where it may be worn.

Or it may just need a new carburetor.

The governor gear issue that you checked is usually the problem if the other things have been checked.

Good luck.

Let me know if you need more help, but at this time I am not sure what else I can tel you until everything is checked out.