James W
James W, Small Engine Troubleshooting Expert
Experience:  7 years as Mechanic & Parts Manager for Brother who has Owned Lawn & Garden Repair shop for 35 years
18589515

Craftsman GT 5000 Kohler Pro 25hp, difficult to start, and

Customer Question

Craftsman GT 5000 Kohler Pro 25hp, difficult to start, and when runs it's rich, tried to loosen throttle cable and adjust, just can't hit that sweet spot
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  James W replied 2 years ago.

James W :

Greetings, My name isXXXXX and I am here to help the best I can. My goal is 100% satisfaction. Let's get started.

James W :

OK, here is the weird answer first

James W :

It sounds to me like a twin cylinder engine that is only running on one cylinder.

Start the engine and then, with a good set of insulated piers, pull one of the spark plug wires off and note how the engine runs.

If the engine dies, then you know that the other cylinder is not working.

If the engine runs the same, then the cylinder that you removed the plug wire from is not working.

If the engine stays running, but runs much worse than it did, then both cylinders are working.

What could cause one cylinder not to work?

1. Bad ignition coil

2. Valve rocker arm came loose. or bad valve.

3. Broken connecting rod on that side,.

4. BAd spark plug on that side.

5 Blown head gasket on that side.

Good luck.

If this is not the problem, contact me and we will look at this again.

James W :

Or, the problem coul dbe so simple that you have a problem in the carburetor

James W :

where the needle and seat are not mating correclty and the gas is not being shut off all the way when the bowl is full

James W :

ALSO, SMELL the oil

James W :

see if the Oil has a gas smell to it

James W :

Let me know what you learn

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
quick bit of info, engine ran fine, until my choke cable seized up, loosened holding clamp, spray lube into cable on both ends, until free. after that started having difficulity starting, can get it to start but seems rich, and runs rough, I've tried to adjust throttle cable but cannot nit that sweetspot
Expert:  James W replied 2 years ago.
It can not be this simple can it.

Are you sure the choke cable did not slip a bit.

If the choke is not adjusted correctly, then you will Never get anything else adjusted right because if the choke is accidentally partially ON, then the engine will run too rich no matter what you do.. It will be starving for air.