Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators

I have a generac guardian 6052. It stopped And the alarm says

Customer Question

I have a generac guardian 6052. It stopped And the alarm says low voltage. What causes this and how do you fix it
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.
Hello!
Thank you for choosing Just Answer for the solution to your problem.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am going to assist you with this.

Please, please, please, read this entire post very carefully.

I know it is a bit windy, but please bear with me.

Just Answer has just done a major revamping of its software, and made a lot of changes. They still have a few bugs to work out.

Please hold off on rating me until we are finished – which may take several back and forths.

A genset is a complex machine, and troubleshooting can sometimes become somewhat extended.

Even though it says you are required to rate your expert, you do not have to rate every reply. You need only rate the final outcome. Also bear in mind that the rating is for my personal performance, and not any issues that may arise with the website itself.

Again, you do not have to rate every reply. If there is something you do not understand, or need further clarification on, please use the REPLY button or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button.

Also, depending on which screen you see, leaving me a rating of 1 or 2 stars, or 1 or 2 smiley faces, or “I expected more” or “Helped a little”, actually leaves a negative mark on my record. I try hard to satisfy each and every customer, and I take negative ratings very personally.

If the starts or smiley faces are not there, or if they appear to not be working, please let me know.

Now with that being said, let’s find and fix your problem.

.

.

The Low Voltage alarm means that the genset is not putting out the proper amount of electricity - it is too low.
A control board will most likely not fix this issue - there is less than a 1% chance that the board is the problem.

But to help you find the problem, I need the full model and serial numbers of the genset.
Hank F., Technician
Experience: Certified on Onan and Generac generators
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The model number is XXXXX and the serial number is XXXXX It says under voltage on the alarm
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.
I need you to recheck your numbers.
6052 is only a partial model number, and I need the entire number.
Also, you have 1 too many digits in the serial number - there should only be 7,.

When was this genset purchased and installed?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is a generac model(NNN) NNN-NNNN Serial no is(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Have you figured it out yet,
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry - we had a family emergency. My wife's uncle passed away this morning, and I just now got home.

The first thing I need to tell you is that having just bought your genset in February, it is still under warranty.

The best thing to do would be to contact the selling/servicing dealer to have it repaired under warranty.
Working on this set yourself could easily void the warranty - and I'd sure hate to see you lose that.

But if you do not mind risking the loss of the warranty, here is what you need to do first:
Remove the control panel from the top of the genset.
Connect a voltmeter across the 2 large wires marked 11 and 44 (they go to the circuit breakers).
Start the set, and note what the voltage is before it shuts down.
What is the voltage.

Now remove one of the meter leads from either wire 11 or 44, and connect it to ground,.
Set your meter to read frequency, and start the set.
What is the frequency before it shuts down?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. I have called someone and they are going to replace the control panel....but like you said it is 1% the problem. This is why I need some more info. thanks.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.
OK
Please follow up with me, if you do not mind.
If you are still having trouble after the board is installed, I would be happy to work with you until you get the issue resolved.
.