Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

No spark on Kohler K341AOS 16 hp on a simplicity mower (7117)

No spark on Kohler K341AOS 16 hp on a simplicity mower (7117) . The mower was bought as parts unit with a good back up to my other 7117. The 16 hp ran fine when parked. Now, it won't start. No spark with spark plug out and grounded to block. No spark at points. New coil made no difference. Fully charged battery spins motor fine.

The coil only has three wires to it, a red plus wire from ignition, a white condensor wire and a white wire from the points both going to the other connection on the coil.
I suspect that it is the kill switch circuit gone bad and preventing a spark.
Is there a way to disable the kill switch circuits? I disconnected the red wire from the ignition to the coil + terminal with no effect.

Is there somewhere else I can check spark?

Thanks for a reply. You can hear the grass growing....
Gary
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.

curtis b :

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !!

curtis b :

Have you cleaned or replaced the points? Have you checked power to the points from the coil with test light or voltmeter?

curtis b :

The points have to have power from the coils - side., and the point tip has to make the ground when the points close.

curtis b :

the condenser can also short out the spark.

Customer:

Will check, not sure how to check power to the point. I assume its a positive on the wire from coil, and there is a negative on the other side of the points. When I crank the engine i should see power spikes on the voltmeter???

curtis b :

You don't have to crank unit, with switch on, both sides of coil should have power.

Customer:

ok will check, it will take about 10 minutes..G

curtis b :

ok.

Customer:

Yes there is 12.15 v between the points.

curtis b :

You have voltage to the points?

curtis b :

12 volts to the coil, 12 volts from coil to points? when points break, the coil should fire the plug.

curtis b :

Take spark plug cable and hold close to metal, then open and close points with screwdriver, everytime points open and close the coil should throw spark.

curtis b :

If not, points or condenser is grounding the spark.

curtis b :

??

Customer:

12 v from coil to point, and .70 mvolt from other side of point to ground.

curtis b :

Point open or closed?

curtis b :

Sand or clean the points, and see if it will throw a spark.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
I changed to question and answer so it will load quicker.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, after filing points and changing the condenser so it is only hanging by the wire, i got a spark. Weak, but a spark. Wouldn't start possibly because the spark is weak, i.e. not the white blue spark I like, just the weak darker version of a spark. I am off to the store for a new spark plug and will keep you posted.
Thanks so far, i suspect the points were corroded. Let me know if there is something else that would mess up the strength of the spark.

Also, I probably won't be back on until tomorrow night, pacific time.

G
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Points and condenser should be replaced together. Get back when you can, let me know how it comes out. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay in reply. I was looking for a new spark plug, and couldn't find one that fit, because, I had pulled the helicoil out of the head..... So, back to parts store for helicoil kit, new plug, ordered breaker points and condensor. had to order points and condensor.
Finally it started and idles ok, but misses like crazy when I try to accelerate. I suspect carburetor and when the stores open again on Monday I will buy some carb spray and run through it to see if that helps. But, I think it is still spark problem as when I take air filter off and watch it accelerate, I see microdrops of gas coming out of the carb intake. So either too much gas causing it to stall or not enough spark to burn gas. Possibly the carb jet(s) are fouled and the fuel is not atomized enough????

By the way this is brand new fuel and the air filter is off.

Thanks again for your help.

Gary
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Pulled and cleaned carb. it was ok. finally figured out that it had to be the ignition. Replaced the spark plug wire. YAY! Runs great (or as least as great as one lung machine can run.
Thanks for your help. How do I pay you?

G
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Good job! Let me finish as Answer. Thank you. Then you can ACCEPT and rate.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience: have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert