Rick
Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.
20444326

I have a Grasshopper 220 and the voltage regulator has gone

I have a Grasshopper 220 and the voltage regulator has gone out. How do I replace it and where do I get the part, what is the part #.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for choosing JustAnswer. I'll be helping you today and am committed to providing clear and concise answers to your question.

What engine brand and complete model number is XXXXX there, please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Kohler CH20S
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
That's only part of it, unfortunately. To identify the correct part for you I will need the complete model information. There is a plate on the engine with this information. There will be a spec number listed to identify which CH20 it is, plus a serial number that will let us know of any running production changes. There are several different charging systems used on that family of engines depending on application.

graphicgraphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Family 2KHXS.6242GC

CC 624

Mod CH20S

Spec# 6432

Ser# XXXXXXXXXX /p>

Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
Could that perhaps be a CH20-65432? That's the closest I find in Kohler database.

If so, the regulator is part number 41 403 10-S. Here's a link for sources and price comparison:

41 403 10-S

It will be bolted to the side of the engine (look at the pictures on the link to see what it looks like, please) so you just unplug the three-wire connector, unmount the old on, put the new one on, and re-attach the wires.

However, I'm just a bit concerend about whether we are absolutely this is the problem and not the stator. So I'm going to post some troubleshooting steps just to cover the bases in case this hasn't been done yet.

Disconnect the wire from the center connection of the rectifier/regulator and start the engine. Test for voltage between the center terminal and ground. With the engine running at 3600 RPM you should be getting 13.8 volts DC or more. You can also do an amperage test we can discuss, but this is a good basic test.

If you have less than 13.8 VDC, then disconnect the two outside wires from the rectifier/regulator and test the stator. Switch the meter to read AC, and with the engine running at 3600 RPM you should get at least 28 VAC across the two outside wires.

If the stator is OK, and you are not getting DC voltage out of the rectifier, the rectifier-regulator is bad. If the stator voltage is less than 28 VAC, the stator is probably faulty. you can test it further using an ohmmeter.

With engine stopped, measure the resistance across stator leads. You should get a reading between 0.064 - 0.2 ohms. If you read infinity (no continuity), the stator is open and should be replaced.

Next with the engine stopped, measure the resistance from each stator lead to ground. If the resistance is infinity ohms (no continuity), the stator is OK (not shorted to ground). If you read some resistance (or continuity), the stator leads are shorted to ground and the stator should be replaced.

If it does happen to be the stator instead, here's the part number and a link to sources:

Kohler 54 755 09

Hope this helps. Keep me posted, please.

Please remember to rate my answer only when you are 100% satisfied. If you need more information, or feel the need to rate negatively, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the best service possible. Your highest rating is my primary goal because that means I've given you the top-quality service you deserve.

Thank you!

Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer
Experience: Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I need some time to do the test that you have requested, it will probably be next tuesday 7/03/12 before I can get back to you. I will keep you advised.

Thanks

Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. Appreciate the update. Have a great weekend!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Rick, all of the serial,mod, and other #s I gave you were correct, I went to the local Grasshopper dealer today and the part # XXXXX gave me appears to be correct. I have ordered the part and will find out if that is the problem.