Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.

how do i remove pto clutch from crankshaft of mtd 808k law

how do i remove pto clutch from crankshaft of mtd 808k lawntractor

First of all you need to remove the center bolt from the clutch that is holding it onto the crankshaft. Usually this is done with an IMPACT wrench.

Then unplug the electrical wires from the clutch.

then you shoudl be able to get if off bith the gentle prying you have mentioned....

But....... If it doesn't come off easily, be careful. Do not bent the pulley.

You also probalby will need to get another bolt that is the same thread as the original bolt and is also a lot longer. Screw this bolt into the crankshaft throught the clutch leaving part of the bolt sticking out of the end of the clutch.

Then take the pry bar and place if under the clutch, then take a large hammer and while placing a small amount of pressure on the prypar....Hit the end of the bolt with a heavy hammer. This should loosen the clutch. If this doesn't work, then you may need to use some GOOD pennetrating oil on the crankshaft and let it soak overnight. Try not to get the oil on the clutch itself. Then try it again.

If this doen't work, then I would suggest that you take it to a good dealer and have him take it off for you. This is providing that you need to keep from ruining the clutch.

If the clutch is already bad and we don't have to worry about breaking it, then this is much easier. All you have to do is put a good wheel puller on the clutch and tighten it up agains that longer bolt that I had you install and pull it off. The clutch may be broken, but it should come off.

If you need any more help with this, you can contact me here at this question...even after you have hit the "ACCEPT" button to pay me for this answer.

Please click "ACCEPT" or I won't get paid.

You may also consider sending a "BONUS" if I have been helpful, Please leave POSITIVE feedback for me as this is how I'm rated. Remember, a neutral is nearly as bad as a negative. If not satisfied, contact me and I will make it right. Thanks

Thanks for the accept, but please do not leave neutral feedback. it actually hurts my rating. If you are not done with me and cannot leave positive feedback, please wait to give any feedback until we are completely finished. Remember you can continue to discuss this with me until you are satisfied. Feedback cannot be changed after it is left.