Vince O.
Vince O., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience repairing lawn and garden equipment. Chainsaws, mowers,blowers and trimmers

How do I remove the piston from a briggs and stratton in a

How do I remove the piston from a briggs and stratton in a Westwood T1200 mower. I've got the head off but I think the rings are Broken
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Vince O. replied 4 years ago.
Hello,to remove the piston you must first remove the engine from the tractor and remove all pulleys on the engine shaft and drain the oil.You then remove the bottom oil sump to gain access to internal parts.If you can supply the engine model I can send you a repair manual for it with instructions.Look for the numbers stamped into the engine shroud above the spark plug wire.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I feared the worst really, so how many hours do you reckon it would take a guy of limited mechanical knowledge to do that and remove the piston and fit new rings and replace? Is the instruction manual included in the price or does it come as an extra? If it is included in the price the model number is XXXXX but I'll probably struggle on without it if it's an extra. Thanks.
Expert:  Vince O. replied 4 years ago.

I can supply you a download link so you can save and read it over then decide if you want to repair it.The link is free.Be sure to read section 12 too.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I know it's difficult to assess but how long do you think I'm looking at, just approximately
Expert:  Vince O. replied 4 years ago.
Once the engine is off the tractor and if the pulleys slide right off,maybe a couple hours.You might need a special tool also,a piston ring compressor.