jrloar
jrloar, Technician
Experience:  I can help with most all internal combustion engines.
23900771

i have a Honda 2800 pressure washer that wont start. Any idea

i have a Honda 2800 pressure washer that won't start. Any idea what could be wrong?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  jrloar replied 2 years ago.

jrloar :

Have you checked for spark>

Customer:

i don't know anything about power washers

Customer:

can you explain what the spark is?

Customer:

or what should i be checking about spark?

jrloar :

Do you know what the spark plug is?

Customer:

yeah

jrloar :

can you remove it?

Customer:

let me try

Customer:

i'll be back in a couple of min

jrloar :

when you remove it hook the spark plug wire back on it and place the plug so it is touching the engine. Turn over the engine while watching the plug to see if you have spark. you should see a small white/blue spark in the gap of the plug.

Customer:

i don't have any tools to remove the spark. i have to go to home depot to get something

Customer:

what do you mean "turn over the engine"?

Customer:

i may not be able to start the engine while just holding spark close to the engine

jrloar :

Pull the pull cord like you are going to start it

Customer:

ok - i'll try that

jrloar :

How long has it sit since you last ran it?

Customer:

it's been a couple of years

Customer:

but i tried last year and it didn't work

Customer:

same issue

Customer:

i just gave up as i didn't need it that much

Customer:

but now i need it and need to get it to work

jrloar :

On the bottom of the carb you have a float bowl. it should have bolt in the middle of it. My bet it if you remove the bolt (remove float bowl) it is gummed up.

Customer:

can you please translate that into plain english

Customer:

english is my 2nd language and i am not familiar with that terminology

Customer:

sorry :)

Customer:

what is gummed up?

jrloar :

Dried gas

Customer:

ok - so i should i forget the spark for now and focus on removing the bolt

jrloar :

The float bowl will look something like this...

Full Size Image

jrloar :

yes. I would bet you are not getting gas to the engine

Customer:

ok

Customer:

so remove the bolt and clean up

Customer:

put the fresh gas into the tank?

jrloar :

This is what one looks like removed so you know what bolt to remove

Full Size Image

jrloar :

well yes and no

jrloar :

let me find one more image for you

Customer:

ok

Customer:

can you tell me what i need to do and i'll try it out

Customer:

i have to go in 10 min and will be back in a couple of hours

Customer:

i'll let you know what i find out

Customer:

just give me the steps

jrloar :

here is a good video for you...

Full Size Image

jrloar :

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pw7tlsEMn2c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jrloar :

darn let me try another way

Customer:

it's ok i can try to copy the link

jrloar :

I think that will take you there

jrloar :

its not a Honda but it gives you the basic idea...

jrloar, Technician
Experience: I can help with most all internal combustion engines.