James W
James W, Small Engine Troubleshooting Expert
Experience:  7 years as Mechanic & Parts Manager for Brother who has Owned Lawn & Garden Repair shop for 35 years

I have a briggs and stratton 450 series 148cc, was mowing and

I have a briggs and stratton 450 series 148cc, was mowing and it just stop't. try'd new plug and still nothing
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  James W replied 2 years ago.

James W :

Greetings, My name isXXXXX and I am here to help the best I can. My goal is 100% satisfaction. Let's get started.

James W :

In order to work your engine needs these things

• Proper compression

• Proper Gas / Air Mixture with good quality fuel.

• Proper spark

• Spark at correct time

• Proper Lubrication (not required to start and run, but required for it to run very long).

James W :

We have to figure out what it used too have, and what it does not have now

James W :

did you hit ANYTHING? anything at all?

James W :

If the blade was loose, or if you hot something like a tree root, a water meter head, a piece of carpet, a ball of twine, a piece of fence or wire,

James W :

then yu may have a sheered flywheel key

James W :

you would still have spark, but it would spark at the wrong time

James W :

I would also check to make sure it has spark. the ignition can quit at any time

James W :

also the safety switch that shuts the engine off

James W :

may be bad

James W :

or there may be a short in the ground out wire that runs from the switch to the ignition coil

James W :

that is shorting the ign coil ouut

James W :

ALSO, if there was ANY dirt, water, or gas older than 30 days old in the gas tank

James W :

then the carburetor may very well be dirty

James W :

also, if this engine is the one that has a primer and the carburetor on top of the gas tank, the diaphragm between the tank and the car

James W :

very often dries out and needs to be replaced

James W :

the alcohol in the gas is to blame, but luckily this part is on;y $5 or so

James W :

gas can not sit for 30 days or it will turn to gum and varnish

James W :

ALSO I would check the compression with a meter

James W :

and see what it is

James W :

it must be at least 100 PSI (115 is better) for it to run right

James W :

let me know what you learn

Experience: 7 years as Mechanic & Parts Manager for Brother who has Owned Lawn & Garden Repair shop for 35 years
Expert:  James W replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert. You will also receive an email when your question is updated. If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above. Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.