Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.

I have a 1985 yamaha g2 golf cart that the spark plug is firing

Customer Question

I have a 1985 yamaha g2 golf cart that the spark plug is firing all the time, during all four strokes of the engine causing it to backfire through the carb and exhaust. Any suggestions?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 2 years ago.

Ranwell1 :

thisis NOT causing your probelm...

Ranwell1 :

You have other issues that are causing the backfiring.

Ranwell1 :

Usually it is the valves that are not closing all the way and may need to be adjusted or more....

Customer: I adjusyed
Customer: I adjusted the valves accordong to the manual to .004
Ranwell1 :

Then they may not be closing all the way.

Ranwell1 :

There is also a possiblity that the ignition is out of time.....

Ranwell1 :

Sometimes the ignition coils can go bad and the spark advance circuit goes bad and is not letting it fire at the correct time.

Ranwell1 :

But there are also other possibilities...such as water in the gas and other things.......

Ranwell1 :

This may not be an easy thing to figure out.....

Ranwell1 :

You may end up having to take it to a good shop so they can listen to it and give you an opinion.

It is very hard to diagnose something like this without seeing or HEARING it to hear what it sounds like.

Ranwell1 :
Ranwell1 :

If you need any more help with this, you can contact me here at this question...even after you have hit the "ACCEPT" button to pay me for this answer.

Please click "ACCEPT" or I won't get paid.

You may also consider sending a "BONUS" if I have been helpful, Please leave POSITIVE feedback for me as this is how I'm rated. Remember, a neutral is nearly as bad as a negative. If not satisfied, contact me and I will make it right. Thanks

Customer: With the spark plug removed, and turning the engine ,it fires continuosly. Is that normal?
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience: I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 2 years ago.
We may not be done with this. I did not cut you off. If you still need more information I am still available to help... just remember that I an trying to help many people at the same time and cannot always stay on one question continually. I come back to the questions quite often......LEt me know if you still need more help.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The problem was the generator had an internal wire shorting out on the housing, when I unplugged the generator from the voltage regulator it runs fine. So I figured out the problem, and its fixed.
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for letting me know what the problem was.

It sure wasn't anything that I would have been able to find without actually testing it myself.

This isn't something that is very likely either.

in any case, thanks and if you ever need more assistance, please ask for me by name.

Maybe it will be a little bit easier next time....