Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators

I got a homelite genertor that is not making power model LR4300

I got a homelite genertor that is not making power model LR4300 bought it 1999 but never use it I was using my hedge trimmer with it . It just quit making power.Any thing I check
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.
Hello!
Thank you for choosing Just Answer for the solution to your problem.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am going to assist you with this.

There is a capacitor behind that cover, and it is the single most likely part to go bad.

You will need to take it in and have it tested. This is not a part you can test yourself.
Hank F., Technician
Experience: Certified on Onan and Generac generators
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what does the capacitor look like.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.
The capacitor is a small cylinder with 2 wires attached to it - it looks like a small can.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
HANK I replaced the capacitor and know luck any other ideas.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.
Sho' nuff.....

Inside the end cover is another component, called a bridge rectifier.
It is a small square about 1- ¼” across, with 4 terminals on it. 2 of the terminals are marked AC, one is marked +, and the other is not marked at all. This is the bridge rectifier.

Remove the rectifier. Pay strict attention to which wires go to which terminal and remove all wires from the rectifier. Mark one of the AC terminals with a marker or piece of tape. Call this AC1, and the other AC2.

Set your meter to ohms and perform the following 4 tests:

1. Red lead to AC1, black lead to +. Record the reading.
  2. Black lead to AC1, red lead to +. Record the reading.
  3. Red lead to AC2, black lead to +. Record the reading.
  4. Black lead to AC2, red lead to +. Record the reading.

What are the results of these 4 tests?

Here is what it looks like:

graphic

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

HANK my rectifier is more like a circle not a rectangle there is plastic pin that goes in the middle held on by a metal clip is there any possible I can test without taking it out.Sorry it took so long to get back to you.

Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.
Yes, the older style rectifiers were round, rather than square.
But the test will be the same.

If you can get to it without taking it out, that is fine. But all wires must be removed from it to test.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
HANK tested rectifier here the results red lead to ac1 black to+is 519 black lead to ac1 red lead to + no reading red lead to ac2 black lead to + is 519 black lead to ac2 red lead to + no reading does this make since to you.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.
Yes it does - and that is what the results should look like.
A bridge rectifier is nothing more than a series of diodes encased in plastic.
When testing a diode, it should read continuity one way, but not the other - so it appears that the rectifier is good.

There are only 5 parts that can prevent the genset from producing any power:
1. Capacitor
2. Bridge rectifier
3. Brushes/holder
4. Rotor
5 Stator

Here is what I need you to do next.
On the rotor are 2 bands that the brushes ride against. These are called slip rings.
Set a meter to ohms, and place one lead to each slip ring. What is the resistance?
Now place one lead to either slip ring, and the other lead to the rotor shaft. It should show no continuity. Does it?

Now, inside the end of the genset, find the 4 wires that come out of the stator. There will be a black, a white, a brown and a red. Disconnect them all.
With your meter set to ohms, place one lead to the black wire, and one to the white wire. What is the reading?
Now test from black to the stator housing. What is the reading?
Now test from black to brown. What is the reading?
Now test from brown to red. What is the reading?
Now test from red to the stator housing. What is the reading?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

HANK there is 66.5 resistance bewteen the slip rings. no continuity bewteen slip rings. .5 ohms bewteen black and white wire. all the other test are neg. THANK hoping we will get to the bottom of this.

Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.
What exactly do you mean by 'all others test are neg'?
What were the actual readings?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
there was know reading
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.
If you get no reading, this indicates an open winding.
You will need to remove the stator and visibly check for physical damage.
Hank F., Technician