Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Our woods 5160 zero turn Mowing Machine eats batteries. A new

Our woods 5160 zero turn Mowing Machine eats batteries. A new one lasts maybe four or five mows (3 acres a pop) before going dead. We charge, mow, charge, mow all summer. What could be causing the failure to maintain a charge in a new battery? One year I found the problem: broken wire leading from the REG fuse holder to the (I assume) regulator. Wire is good now though. Where is this regulator located if it has one? Mower is a 1994 model, lost manual in house fire.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !!What is the engine model number? On most small engines the alternator is under the flywheel and is mated to the regulator/rectifier. The parts would be identified by the engine numbers. Do you have a voltmeter to test the battery voltage with unit dead, and then with engine running, again when the blades are engaged?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My son would have a voltmeter and would know how to use it. The woods has Briggs/Stratton 16 hp V-twin. Model number is XXXXX? Or MPE 1079-a1. I can email you pictures of what I've believed are the starter, solenoid and regulator/rectifier if that would help. I've never located an alternator. Doesn't mean it does not have one, of course. This has been an issue with the mower for years and years, great machine other than this, just weary of hassling with it all the time.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 years ago.
On the Briggs engine ,the alternator is under the flywheel. The tests at the battery will determine if the alternator and regulator need to be tested.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
, Thank you. I'll get my son out here to follow your advice and see if he can narrow this down to something specific . Rained for 2 weeks here, I have This one afternoon to try to mow. Before it rains again. And the Woods fired right up this time. Go figure.

Sorry, thought I sent this. My son located the alternator under the flywheel, and found a loose connection that may explain why the problem was so inconsistent. They are tightening things up, and we'll see what happens,
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 years ago.
Ok, lets hope this was your problem!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for getting us pointed in the right direction. Kind of embarrassing that we've had this mower for 18 years and never knew where the alternator was! Brandon did test the battery as you suggested, and he thought the regulator looked kinda rough so we swapped that out too. Thanks again., , , Thank you. I'll get my son out here to follow your advice and see if he can narrow this down to something specific . Rained for 2 weeks here, I have This one afternoon to try to mow. Before it rains again. And the Woods fired right up this time. Go figure.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for getting us pointed in the right direction. Kind of embarrassing that we've had this mower for 18 years and never knew where the alternator was! Brandon did test the battery as you suggested, and he thought the regulator looked kinda rough so we swapped that out too. Thanks again., , ,