Rick
Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.
20444326

PTO will not engage on my troybilt bronco?

Customer Question

Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for choosing JustAnswer. I'll be helping you today and am committed to providing clear and concise answers to your question.

First, check your battery. The PTO takes a great deal of current to operate. Consider that you are energizing an electromagnet that has to stay joined with a metal plate while the horsepower of your engine and the load created by the cutting deck are trying to pull them back apart. If your battery isn't fully charged, or is failing under load, the PTO goes cannot work. a fully charged battery will put out about 12.7v. By the time it drops to about 12.1v it's 50% discharged.

Also, check to make sure the battery is usually rated at least 350 Cold Cranking Amps, but check your manual to be sure. If you have possibly replaced your battery, this could be the cause. Also, we find a higher incidence of initially defective batteries sold though discount retailers than though servicing dealers.

If the battery keeps doesn't maintain its charge, you may have a charging system problem. A word of caution, never jump-start a lawnmower with a running car. The higher-powered charging system of the car will likely blow out and ruin your mower's charging system. The charging system should be checked against manufacturer specifications to make sure it's performing properly.

Your PTO switch could be failing. Some switches will "open" when they get hot.

Check for loose wires where they attach to the PTO clutch. If they wiggle loose, current cannot flow.

There's always the possibility the PTO clutch itself could be going bad. Some are adjustable, and this can make a difference, saving the cost of replacement. If you find slots and adjusting nuts, you can go in and check the gap between the two halves with a .015" feeler gauge. Make sure it's adjusted equally all the way around.