Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

John Deere x320 wont start. Replaced the battery, now it cranks

John Deere x320 won't start. Replaced the battery, now it cranks but won't fire. Changed plugs, fuel filter and air filter. Not getting spark? Solenoid? If it is the solenoid how do i confirm? Thx
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.

curtis b :

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !!

Customer:

ok

curtis b :

We need to determine if you have a spark problem or fuel problem. Remove a spark plug and with it grounded to the metal , crank engine and see if there is spark at the electrode. If there is spark, put about a teaspoon of fuel into the spark plug hole, re-install the spark plug, and see if the engine will fire for a few seconds.

curtis b :

If it turns out to be a fuel problem, check the fuel shutoff solenoid # XXXXX it has to click open as soon as key is turned on.

curtis b :

MP34/MP34619________UN22JUL04.gif
Full Size Image

curtis b :

Mounted in the base of the carburetor.

Customer:

so I just hold the plug with the cap still connected and hold it close to the metal?

curtis b :

Yes, that is all you need to do. The starter solenoid will have nothing to do with spark or fuel.

Customer:

if i get spark then i add the fuel in the hole where the spark plug was? Then put the plug back in and crank the engine?

curtis b :

Yes, if it fires, you have fuel problem .

Customer:

how do i fix a fuel problem?

curtis b :

Did you see the fuel shutoff solenoid picture. That would be my guess as to what the problem is. When did the engine last run?

Customer:

late last fall

Customer:

i emptied the tank before winter set in.

curtis b :

Even running tank dry, there is always small amount of gas left in the carburetor and it could have stuck the needle valve in the carburetor. # XXXXX in the diagram.

curtis b :

Did you use any fuel stabilizer.

Customer:

no

curtis b :

The fuel solenoid has to have voltage as soon as key is turned on , do you hear it click when you turn on key? No click, no fuel.

Customer:

no click heard

curtis b :

No click? I would start there, use test light to see if you have voltage or use a voltmeter.

Customer:

is it possible to replace from dealer?

curtis b :

don't replace it until you test it.

Customer:

i dont; have a voltmeter and really wuldn;t know how to test...

curtis b :

Test light?

Customer:

no

curtis b :

Can you remove it? it just screws in. Then plug the hole and see if mower will start.

curtis b :

Engine does not need it to run.

curtis b :

??

curtis b :

Let me know, I will be on line. Thank you.

Customer:

too late this evening. I'll be fine. I'll do alittle more research. Thx for your help.

Curtis B., Technician
Experience: have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert