Vince O.
Vince O., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience repairing lawn and garden equipment. Chainsaws, mowers,blowers and trimmers
32407143

my craftsman trimmer starts then dies.changed fuel lines and

my craftsman trimmer starts then dies.changed fuel lines and primer bulb.still does it
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Vince O. replied 2 years ago.

Vince O. :

Hello,were the fuel lines rotted and the fuel filter inside the tank off of the fuel line? If yes did you take carb apart? The screen could be clogged with debris.Can you supply a model number?

Vince O. :

Full Size Image

Customer:

craftsman part numberNNN-NN-NNNN/p>

Customer:

date 2007

Customer:

32 cc

Customer:

the primer bulb was staying half full of air so i thought the primer was bad.

Customer:

there was a lot of air bubbles in the bulb when i could keep it running with the choke on and pumping the throttle

Vince O. :

Was the fuel filter off of the line?

Customer:

no

Vince O. :

The carb might need adjusted too but the screws are tamper proof unless you can improvise and find a way to open the low speed screw.

Customer:

i pulled the carb off .pulled both covers off it.sprayed it out with crc carb cleaner

Customer:

i can't find the book with the breakdown in it

Customer:

i have to check the vent in the fuel cap

Vince O. :

Try to open low the low needle to where it will stay running.Squeeze the trigger and if it hesitates or stalls open the low speed a hair more.Fine tune high speed and when it sounds good open it a hair so it doesn't run lean.

Vince O. :

The adjustment tool is available online for around $10.00 if interested

Customer:

i'm not sure where the screws are

Vince O. :

hang on

Customer:

i think there under the black plug

Customer:

they're

Customer:

i did see the little screen in the carb.i made sure it was realy clean

Vince O. :

Full Size Image

Customer:

thats it

Vince O. :

The screw closest to the engine is the low (L) speed screw.

Customer:

are those black knobs acually the screws?

Vince O. :

Some people have cut slots in them with a Dremmel tool or force a piece of plasic over the screw and try to turn.

Vince O. :

Plastic tubing

Customer:

what about small needle nose

Vince O. :

If you can get them in there ,sure.Or cut the boss surrounding the screws off.

Customer:

i never putstabil in so could the needle and seats have gummed up oil clogging them?

Vince O. :

Next time you have the carb off look inside the at the silver reed plate to be sure the entire hole is covered by it.If ok tighten the 4 allen head screws.If loose it can suck air and cause stalling and running issues.When you sprayed carb cleaner it would take care of most gum deposits.The carb wasn't green inside was it?

Customer: No
Vince O. :

I would try to find a way to adjust th carb before buying a new one.I have had to adjust a new carb once the trimmer started.

Customer: I'll try in a little while then get back to you
Customer: I will try in a bit

Vince O., Small Engine Technician
Experience: Over 30 years experience repairing lawn and garden equipment. Chainsaws, mowers,blowers and trimmers