Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

How to remove the engine pulley from the drive shaft to replace

How to remove the engine pulley from the drive shaft to replace the drive belt on Troy-bilt 13AD609G063 model?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 years ago.

curtis b :

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !!

curtis b :

You have the mechanical pulley and not the electric pto clutch and pulley?

curtis b :

Full Size Image

curtis b :

Full Size Image

curtis b :

Shows three different styles. all have the single bolt in the end of the crankshaft that holds on the pulleys.

curtis b :

The bolt is best removed with an impact wrench, the electric kind for changing ties will work great.

curtis b :

Then the pulley is best removed with two crowbar type bars, with one one each side , so you can get equal pry at same time.

curtis b :

A puller can be used, but without the right puller, you can bend the pulley and wind up having to replace it.

curtis b :

??

Customer:

Mine looks like the one on the left-hand side of the 2nd diagram. the electric PTO clutch is already off.

curtis b :

So it is the small pulley you need off.

curtis b :

# XXXXX pulley.

Customer:

the part that is stuck is the one labeled 21 in the diagram...

Customer:

bingo.

Customer:

won't budge. applied PB Blaster penetrating oil.

curtis b :

You want to replace the belt I assume.

Customer:

right. the old one was cracked to pieces. cut a thin spot to get it off.

curtis b :

Have you looked at removing the four engine mounting bolts and sliding and tilting the engine to get enough clearance to slip in belt.

Customer:

got those 3 "ears" around the engine pulley, blocking access to put on the replacement.

curtis b :

Have you tried a small heel type bar under the pulley?

Customer:

thought about lifting the engine. How much other stuff (exhaust, electrical, etc. has to be unhooked to make that work?

curtis b :

Most of it is on the engine and doesn't have to be removed.

Customer:

may try that. that pulley doesn't have the least amount of play in it, even though I can't see anything holding it on.

curtis b :

That is what I would try, moving the engine. Some of the pulleys just can't be gotten off without destroying them. I have had to use a cutoff wheel and split them.

curtis b :

There is nothing holding it on. Just the key that keeps it from rotating on the shaft.

Customer:

all right. thanks for the advice. just needed to check with someone who had been into a few of them to see if I was headed the right direction.

curtis b :

Yes, you have a good hand for it. I would do the same. Thank you.