Rick
Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.
20444326

I have a 6.5hp Briggs and Stratton engine in my push mower.

I have a 6.5hp Briggs and Stratton engine in my push mower. It starts but shortly after it stalls out.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for choosing JustAnswer. I'll be helping you today and am committed to providing clear and concise answers to your question.

What model, type, and code is this, please? It should be printed above the spark plug. How long does it run? Does it restart right away?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Toro recycler, 6.5hp 190cc sea jt940 It runs for @ 1 - 2 mintues, but when it's running it sound sluggish like it needs fuel.
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
Can you please tell me what model number is listed on the tag on the mower deck?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Give me an example of the model number
All I see is Toro Recycler and the information I gave you before.
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
Should be a five-digit model number sunce as 20335. Here's where to look. It will be in #1 or #2.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
model # 20331
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. that's a Briggs engine with a float carburetor on there.

Sounds like a plugged carburetor. Let's try a minor fix first, then if that doesn't solve it a full cleaning and rebuild will probably be necessary.

Please shut off the fuel or pinch the fuel line and have a container ready under the carburetor bowl. Remove the bowl nut and look in the bowl for any sediment or build-up. Clean it out. Be cautious not to knock the float loose. It's not major if you do, but there's no sense having to put more back together than necessary.

The bowl nut has some small holes that are likely plugged. Spray it with carburetor cleaner and use some small soft wire like from a bread tie to make sure the passages are clear. Pay close attention the the small hole near the threaded area on the side and one in the middle on top. They're connected inside. Spray some carburetor cleaner up the center nozzle of the carburetor as well until it shoots out the throat of the carb.

Bolt it back and try it again. Please let me know and we'll continue.
Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer
Experience: Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.