Rick
Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.
20444326

My Toro Recycler 22 wont start. There is no slack on pull

My Toro Recycler 22 won't start. There is no slack on pull cord to so that I can start it. Is the cord stuck? Help!
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for choosing JustAnswer. I'll be helping you today and am committed to providing clear and concise answers to your question.

Are you holding the bail lever on the upper handle against the upper handle? Is the cable running down from the handle still intact?

What heppened when you first noticed this? Was is starting previously okay?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes to both questions. Yes it was starting just fine, I ran out of gas and then after addding gas I couldn't pull on the cord
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
The cable coming down from the bail is attached to a lever on the side of the engine. When you pull back the bail, do you see this lever moving?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not see any lever moving. I can see the spool of cord turning a quarter turn, when I pull on the cord
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
Then you would be looking at the recoil starter. I'm referring to the cable, not the rope, that comes down from the upper bail lever. It is usuallt covered in black plastic. There will be a metal cable at both ends running through a plastic casing. Follow this down and check please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did check again and the lever by the engine that is connected to cable is moving back in forth when you hold down the bail lever. I am sorry I am a chef and a idiot when it comes to these kind things.
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
Don't worry about it at all. We're all experts, just on different things. I'll bet you would make me look really foolish when I chop my veggies...

Please take the spark plug wire off the plug and ground it to the engine for safety so it cannot accidentally start. Tilt the mower so you can look underneath with the spark plug to the high side so you don't get oil in the cylinder and take a look under the deck. My suspicion is that you have some grass built up under there that is preventing the blade from turning. I would suggest wearing gloves to protect your hands and clean the grass out with a small board or stick.

If there's no build-up look to see if there is any sign of the blade bending. Also try rotating the blade by hand to see if it will turn freely. The bail lever on the handle needs to be pulled down when you do this so a helping hand or a bungee cord comes in handy. Again, make sure the plug wire is off and grounded. No accidents...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You solved my problem! Thank you very much! If you ever have a question on cooking just ask away!

Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
Excellent! In that case, I'll post this as an answer so you get the accept button to press if I've been helpful. Thank you so much, and best of success in all your hands touch...
Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer
Experience: Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.