Ask Outdoor Power Equipment Guru Your Own...

Outdoor Power Equipment Guru
Outdoor Power Equipment Guru, Technician
Experience:  I have worked twenty years as a Mechanic and am a State of Michigan Certified teacher in Small Engine and related equipment.
55638532

I have a cub cadet LXT1040 and it will only go in a very slow

Customer Question

I have a cub cadet LXT1040 and it will only go in a very slow speed both forwards and backwards - there seems to be little tension on the foot throttle - I did replace the drive belt last late summer, but it did work fine up to my winterizing the machine - I have not taken off mower assembly to see why there seems to be little tension on the foot throttle as it is working but at a very slow speed - if I press my foot on the foot throttle and press all the way down, the mower will slowly stop moving - any suggestions??
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Outdoor Power Equipment Guru replied 2 years ago.

Outdoor Power Equipment G : Hello my name is Kevin and I will try to help with this.
Customer :

hi Kevin

Outdoor Power Equipment G : Is there any wetness under the rear end that may indicate a leak?
Customer :

no

Outdoor Power Equipment G : And this started first time out this hear
Outdoor Power Equipment G : Year
Customer :

yes - i was wondering if this might be a warranty issue as I have used the machine 3 summers - this would have been the 4th summer

Outdoor Power Equipment G : If it has the extended drive train wtty then it may be
Outdoor Power Equipment G : It sounds like a low oil issue
Customer :

oil in the rear end?? - I believe I was told at purchase it had a 4 year warranty but it is only my memory - but I want to repair myself if I can -where would I add the oil??

Outdoor Power Equipment G : Well that depends whether it is "servicable" or not. Usually there is a fill tube under the seat if it is. I believe you may be right on the four year warranty I would check that first. There is very little that can be fixed on a hydro unit that is "simple" to do and if you mess anything up it will void the warranty.
Customer :

so, I need to bring it to an authorized cub cadet dealer??

Outdoor Power Equipment G : If there is no bad belt spring or oil leak then I would take it to the dealer if under wtty if not then ee can troubleshoot it from there.
Outdoor Power Equipment G : Ee - we
Customer :

ok - tomorrow, I think, I'll take off the mower assembly which is easy to do and look underneath to see if there is a spring or something that can be replaced - if not, then, I'll call my dealer and bring it in Monday - thanks - hoping this is not an expensive repair

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Let me know what you find.