Mattysgarage
Mattysgarage, Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years as Mechanic / Owner of a Mobile Repair Service
65762784

I have a wheel horse tractor the spider gears on the steering

Customer Question

I have a wheel horse tractor the spider gears on the steering shaft do not mesh tight enough and the steering slip, heck can't even turn is there an adjustment
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Mattysgarage replied 4 years ago.

Mattysgarage :

There are no adjustments, It sounds like a bushing or the gears themselves are worn out. To find your parts you will need to find you tractor model numbers. You can also pull it apart and try to match up bearing sleeves to tighten up the meshing. I hope this helps, Matt

Mattysgarage :

If you need any more help with this, you can contact me here at this question...even after you have hit the "ACCEPT" button to pay me for this answer.

Please click "ACCEPT" or I won't get paid.

You may also consider sending a "BONUS" if I have been helpful, Please leave POSITIVE feedback for me as this is how I'm rated. Remember, a neutral is nearly as bad as a negative. If not satisfied, contact me and I will make it right. Thanks

Customer : It looks like thw play ia in the bishing or bearing at front of the tractor. Is there a diagram on how to remove looks like a lot of work just to get to. Its probably a 70 something model. There are no model #'s
Mattysgarage :

Without the exact model we would be guessing. If its what im thinking of it can be done, its just tight and its best to pull the deck to get underneath to the bolts. Back then the only manuals they had were parts break downs, nothing step by step. WHere you start is pull the steering wheel and work your way down, once the steering shaft is out the you can work with the steering gear. Its just the matter of pulling one part at a time. Your biggest battle is going to be getting the parts.