Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I have a John Deere L100 and I am trying to replace the belt

I have a John Deere L100 and I am trying to replace the belt without removing the deck. I have the old belt off and the new one on ALMOST! I can not get the belt to wrap around the small pulley! It will not go behind that metal guard / bracket? Be nice nice I am a woman! My husband is out of town and I need to get my lawn mowed! I know I can do this! It can not be that difficult! Appreciate your help!

curtis b :

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !!

curtis b :

The metal guard needs to be removed, it has a couple of bolts that hold it in place.

curtis b :

Full Size Image

Customer: Got them off! I have the new belt around everything except for the small pulley has a metal bracket that I can not get the belt behind to fit against the small pulley
curtis b :

Which pulley is the problem?

Customer: The smallest one
curtis b :

Full Size Image

curtis b :

The sping loaded idler?

curtis b :

What number?

Customer: Remember I am woman so I have no idea what that is??? And your diagram is not the same as my John Deere diagram but it is the smallest of all the pulleys
Customer: I would say 11? But again, it is not the same diagram that I have for my john deere
curtis b :

I has to have a removable guard to keep belt on. It has to be loosened or removed to get belt around it.

curtis b :

I'm using the Deere parts site for the L100

curtis b :

#11 is for the transmission drive belt. You are just doing the deck??

Customer: I have been trying to loosen the bolt that holds it in place? Is that correct? It is so tight I can not budge it! Sprayed some WD40 on it but is that what I am suppose to do? Loosen that bolt?
curtis b :

The bolt has to be loosened, it can be tight, just be sure you are turning it in the correct direction.

Customer: Lefty loosee correct?
curtis b :

Customer: Okay thanks for your help
curtis b :

thank you.