lwwade, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have worked on small engines for over 30 years,and i have had my on shop for the last 10 years.

My Briggs and Stratton Intek 18.5 hp engine will not start

My Briggs and Stratton Intek 18.5 hp engine will not start.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  lwwade replied 4 years ago.

lwwade :

have you checked to see if your are getting power down to the starter, if so this will be the starter that has gone bad, you can also jump the solenoid across to see the starter trys then, if so there will be a short somewhere, also i know you checked this but does the battery have a good charge sometimes they will show 12 volt but when put under a load short out worth checking the battery also if it has not been done. hope this helps

The battery is new and reads 12.54 volts. I'm not sure how to check the starter. It has always been somewhat difficult to start especially when the weather is cold of it has been sitting several days. Lately, I would turn the key to the end and then back off just a bit to start it. I put synthetic oil in the engine in the winter and heated it before starting which worked pretty well. I can replaced the starter if it is bad, but if it is and engine problem, I don't have the tools or ability to work in it. Being almost 10 years old, it probably isn't worth spending lots of money on it.

lwwade :

sorry, i got kick off for some reason, if you feel comfortable doing this you jump it going straight to the starter, by using a jump from your car/ truck, just hook the ground to your mower frame are battery, and hold the postive to the cable hooked to your starter, this is a quick way to check without removing the starter. if it tuns over it will not be the starter, also has when it has turned over does it seem to turn over real slow are fast, if slow it could also be your valves need adjusted, but i am more prone to think it is your starter gone bad . hope this helps

I hooked up the started to my truck battery. Nothing happened - no noise. I am assuming that means the starter is shot. I took the engine cover off and removed the red cable. It looks there are two brass colored screw (bolts) that hold it in place. They are in so tight that I can't budge them. I have a torx driver that fits. I will try using a socket wrench although the starter gear doesn't allow a straight line so it is difficult to get the socket firmly attached. I sprayed a little Break-away oil on the screws. I will try removing them again tomorrow. Thanks for the help!!