Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I was mowing my lawn when my lawn mower suddenly stopped working

I was mowing my lawn when my lawn mower suddenly stopped working with the engine going off. I tried to re-start the engine but pulling the start cord was not possible. the cord could not be pulled
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 years ago.

curtis b :

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !!

curtis b :

The engine can be seized. First remove the spark plug and look at the condition of it. Then tip mower up with the plug out and see if the engine can be turned by moving the blade. If not the engine is likely seized. Could be damage from being run low on oil on some other occasion or the oil could have become contaminated by gasoline and was too thin to lubricate the moving parts.

curtis b :

Let me know. Sorry.

Customer:

Sure I also think that the engine is seized. If this so can the engine be repaired? or I need a new mower?

Customer:

Your answer is not satisfactory

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 years ago.
To find out if the engine is repairable, you will have to disassemble the engine starting by removing the cylinder head. I'm not sure what kind of answer you were wanting, all I can do is tell you what I think. For engine to seize, the piston has to have seized to the cylinder walls, or the crankshaft has stuck to the connecting rod. The piston and cylinder is usually repairable, the crankshaft not.