Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators

I have an onan marquis gold 5500 gen in my rv and didnt start

I have an onan marquis gold 5500 gen in my rv and did'nt start it for a while now having trouble starting it.....its turning over good but not getting a fire it seems!! What can I try to get it started again???
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for choosing Just Answer for the solution to your problem.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am going to assist you with this.

What is the full model number of the genset?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

spec- D

s/n c070034804

Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 years ago.
First, let's see what code has been set in the controller.

Go to the genset and use the switch on the set itself.
Press 'Stop' 3 times within 5 seconds. The light in the switch will start flashing.
If the light flashes 3 times, pauses for 3 seconds, and flashes 3 more times, press and immediately release 'Stop' one more time.

This will put the controller into Fault Read Mode.

The light will flash (X) number of times, pause for 1 second, and flash for (X) number of times again. Count the flashes before and after the pause.

This will be the Fault Code.

Example: 2 rapid flashes, 1 second pause, 5 rapid flashes is a Fault Code 25.

There may be more than one Fault Code stored, so watch the light very carefully. If there is more than one code, it will display them all in order, and then start over again.

Be very careful not to misread a first level fault code (single digit code) as a second level fault code (double digit code).

The way to tell the difference is by the length of the pauses.

There is a 1 second pause between digits of a second level code, and a 3 second pause between codes.

For example, if it is flashing 2 times, 1 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a second level fault code of 22.

If it is flashing 2 times, 3 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a first level fault code of 2.

What Fault Code are you getting?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
im not with the gen set now. But when i did what your saying it came up as a fuel spark plug problem?? if i remember correctly???
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 years ago.
There is no code that says fuel or spark plug, directly.

But there are a couple codes that can lead that way.

If you suspect a spark issue, go ahead and check them while you are there - see if both of them are firing.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
was planning to do that but wanted to see if you had any other ideas?? A friend who had the same problem with his changed out his carbarator and that worked?? But me not knowing the code dont help either. Do you know what type spark plug or the # XXXXX I can pick up some???
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 years ago.
Sorry - I'm having some internet issues today.

The plugs are an NGK BPR4EY, and a Champion RN14YC can also be used.
Be sure to properly gap them to .025".