Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Club car charger has suddenly developed problem. When one

Club car charger has suddenly developed problem. When one plugs the charger end into the Club Car, the charger starts to charge then clicks and goes back to zero amps...then tries to start again after 5 seconds and repeats as before. All batteries seem fine. Wonder if it's the charger or internal to the Club Car.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.

curtis b :

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !!

curtis b :

Do you have access to a voltmeter? Need to check the charger connection at the cart. Is this a 36 or 48 volt cart? Club car puts a small micro switch at the charger connection, look for a small wire, this extra switch at the charger connection has to make for the charger to stay on.

curtis b :

The the correct voltage is at the charger connection and this small switch is making when the charger is attached, hen you have to assume it is a charger problem. Best test would check it on another cart.

curtis b :

If the correct

curtis b :

??

Customer:

Yes have voltmeter. It's 48 volts. A poor connection with the micro-switch makes good sense.

curtis b :

Yes, it is a small wafer switch, best found by looking at the small wire to it.

Customer:

Checking on another cart is good advice, but will have to find one somewhere nearby. Still, good point. Will check for the microswitch.

curtis b :

Let me know what you find. Thanks.

Customer:

Thank you!

curtis b :

http://www.eastcoastcarts.com/tools/technical-manuals#clubcar Here is site with parts manual for President and DS

Customer:

Curtis, have checked and did not find a microswitch. I inspected both the internal part of the plug area and the exterior. There are only 3 wires exiting the plug on the rear.....positive wire going directly to + on battery, negative wire that goes to what appears to be a fusible link mounted on top of the rear of the receptacle, then on to negative circuit, then the middle (ground) exits the rear of the receptacle, passes through a fuse, then onto wherever. The fusible link checks OK with Ohmmeter and circuit from negative of plug side through the fusible link is complete.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
What does the charger connection read on the voltmeter?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No voltage when not plugged in. There is a relay inside the charger that energizes once the charger plug is placed in receptacle and only applies 48VDC at that time. Tried to check the voltage as it was going on and off and could read as high as 31VDC on a digital meter before it turned off. It's only ON for about 1 second or so.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
No, I want to know what the cart connection reads, without the charger involved.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Reads 35VDC at receptacle, but 47VDC across batteries.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
You have a problem between the battery and the cart connection. It should read the same as the batteries, 47 volts.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience: have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert