James W
James W, Small Engine Troubleshooting Expert
Experience:  7 years as Mechanic & Parts Manager for Brother who has Owned Lawn & Garden Repair shop for 35 years
18589515

hOW DO i REMOVE AN ELECTRIC CLUTCH AFTER REMOVING THE BOLT

hOW DO i REMOVE AN ELECTRIC CLUTCH AFTER REMOVING THE BOLT THAT SCREWS INTO THE " DRIVE SHAFT" ?

PULLER ? AND HOW MUCH OF THAT SHEAVE AND CLUTCH ASSEMBLY COMES DOWN AND OFF
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  James W replied 2 years ago.

James W :

Greetings, My name isXXXXX and I am here to help the best I can. My goal is 100% satisfaction. Let's get started.

James W :

Soak with PB blaster which is a special penetrating oil.

James W :

things like liquid wrench just do not do the job at all

James W :

you will be removing everything that mounts to the bottom of the engine

James W :

when you are done, you will have nothing at all on the bottom of the crankshaft

James W :

you will want a bold that looks just like the volt you took out, but it needs to be at least two times as long

James W :

if you try to "pry against the crankshaft directly

James W :

or if you try to pry against the bolt after screwing it back in

James W :

you will BREAK the crankshaft

James W :

Before you try to take it off

James W :

I would make 100% sure that it IS a bad clutch

James W :

First. a battery problem will cause mojor trouble witht the PTO. It takes an enornous amount of battery engery to run an electric clutch. So if your battery is low...or goes down, the pto cannot work.

If you bought a battery from a discount store. There is a good possibility that either the battery was bad right off the bat or that it didn't have the required 350 cca that is the minimum for an electric clutch to wor correctly for any length of time.

If the battery keeps going down, you could also have a problem with the charging system. Just a note about charging systems in a lawn mower. YOU CANNOT EVER JUMP-START A LAWNMOWER WITH AN AUTOMOBILE OR YOU WILL RUIN THE CHARGING SYSTEM OF THE MOWER. tHE SYSTEM OF THE CAR WILL BLOW THE MOWER'S CHARGING SYSTEM.

You'd have to have the charging system in the mower checked.

The PTO switch could also be bad causing this problem.

Also check the wires that attetch to the pto clutch. If they came loose, it won't work.

Last but not least, the pto itself could be bad. or at least need adjusted...if it has an adjustment. If you have an adjustable clutch, the setting is .010" between the two halves of the clutch...(in between the slots)

James W :

Removal of the clutch OFTEN requires a Special Tool which is a Special PTO clutch wheel puller which makes contact behind the clutch right up against the crankshaft

James W :

in such a way that the clutch is not damaged

James W :

Obviously, if you have decided to PULL the clutch off and replace it no matter what (even if it is good)

James W :

then you can use just a standard wheel puller on it (still needing the LONG Bolt screwed into the bottom of the crankshaft

James W :

and a good 8 hour soaking in PB blaster with Multiple generous applications

James W :

from the TOP of the clutch at the crankshaft as well as from the bottom on the crankshaft

Customer:

everything ? first from top down that I can see from below is the sheave for the transmission drive - does that come off ? dont think so - next is the clutch assembly with the PTO belt sheave at the bottom - puller takes the transmission drive sheave off also ? that is yurning constantlly and is above the clutch

Customer:

the transmission sheave is attached to the clutch ?

James W :

WIL need the exact model number of the tractor

James W :

depends on whether this is a REAL BOLENS made by FMC or gardenway before the Troy-bilt bankruptsy

Customer:

have to get it to you tomorrow - it is that race car driver autograph model

James W :

or one the CHEAP ones made by MTD after the bankrutsy and the MTD buy out

James W :

I would need the exact model Number which is often found under the seat

James W :

Are you saying that you have an AJ Foyt Signature Series made in 1987 Limited edition?

James W :

14HP Hydro?

James W :

(because AJ drove number 14)?

Customer:

that sounds right bought it couple years back from a neighbor

James W :

Black color?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

thats it

James W :

Cool...

James W :

Looking for parts breakdown

James W :

this is NOT one of the Cheap MTD Models

James W :

it is model 3014H

Customer:

sounds good so far have some value as collectors ?

James W :

Here is a Complete parts breakdown which may help

James W :

Only if it is NEW and never been used such as the one listed on ebay for $40,000

James W :

otherwise , you have a 25 year old used tractor

James W :

BINGO..

James W :

THIS is a complete Service manual Which if you use it in conjunction with the Parts manual I provided whould give you

James W :

a pictorial guide how to get the clutch off without damaging it

James W :

But still, you need to soak it good, use the LONG bolt, a Lot of patience

Customer:

did not get the service manual link

James W :

I have been LUCKY and been able to put a COUPLE 1 X 2s behind the clutch and give Very gentle pressure

James W :

Ooops

James W :

But, I did get your attention, huh.. lol

James W :

Then you Gentle tap on the LONG Bolt you screwed in

James W :

But if you pull too hard on the boards, you will damage the clutch

James W :

and if you tap too hard on the bolt, you will damage the crankshaft

James W :

But, you can pull a tiny and tap a tiny and if you get any movement, you then apply more PB blaster again

James W :

Before you try to take the clutch off

James W :

TEST the leads going to the clutch

James W :

and make sure they are getting 12V when you turn on the PTO switch

James W :

otherwise, you are wasting your time

Customer:

computer locked up ok now - i will checks parts and service manual but can u tell me exactly where u put the 2x3's

Customer:

under the transmission drive sheave - on top of PTO clutch ?

Customer:

jAMES W

Customer:

AM SATISFIED FOR NOW IF I "ACCEPT" THAT COMPLETES THE SESSION AND I GET BILLED FOR THE 1 SESSION $17 ? IS THAT CORRECT ?

Expert:  James W replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert. You will also receive an email when your question is updated. If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above. Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  James W replied 2 years ago.
graphic
Expert:  James W replied 2 years ago.

You have paid a deposit.

When you hit accept, it releases the deposit.

Then it is split on a percentage basis between me and JA.

If you have follow ups, please feel free to ask.

I will be notified via email of your replies.

Even after you hit accept.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I AM NEW AT THIS

Expert:  James W replied 2 years ago.

You have already been billed the $17.50 as a deposit.

Then money is held in an escrow account sort of.

When you hit accept, the session can be over, but you can come back any time.

But until you hit accept I am not paid..

Then when you hit accept it is removed from the escrow account in my account and JA account.

So you are paying ME from the account that held your $17 deposit.

In fact , you session does not HAVE to be over even when you hit accept...

But, you may want to LOOK at the mower just to see how you are going to apply pressure from the back without causing damage..

I will also ask my brother or his service manager to see if he has any other hints.

So goodnight for now if you have nothing else

thanks in advance for hitting accept

Experience: 7 years as Mechanic & Parts Manager for Brother who has Owned Lawn & Garden Repair shop for 35 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

never got clutch worrking - u probably right about charging system faulty

to support that - ran engine first time in months - runs for hr then shuts down

wiring hot enough and melted + cable connector at + battery terminal

where do i start