Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I have a Troy Bilt Bronco riding mower and the rear differential

I have a Troy Bilt Bronco riding mower and the rear differential appears to be locked up. The mower starts and when shifted into forward or reverse, the belt engages but the mower won't move. When I turn off the mower and try and push it in neutral, it is fully locked. All of the other pedals and levers appear to be functioning correctly. Any suggestions as to how to free this up and prevent it from reoccurring?
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Before you throw it away or buy a new one, lets check the brakes. On the axle is a mechanical disc brake, just follow the brake linkage to the lever, and you will see the caliper and the brake disc. If the pads wear on one side , they can jam into the disc, and the brakes won't release. The transmission won't work and you can't push the unit. That could be the problem. Just unhook the linkage at the caliper, ans remove the two bolts and remove the caliper. Then see if the unit will move. Repair would be new brake pads. Let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Why then will the wheels turn freely in the opposite directions of each other, but lock up when trying to rotate them in the same direction together?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you!!

Best regards,
Good job! Please ACCEPT or I don't get paid.