Carey (Turtle) Moore
Carey (Turtle) Moore, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Briggs & Stratton Master Tech, over 20 years exp all brands
14272076

my John Deere L100 riding mower will not start. It is dead

my John Deere L100 riding mower will not start. It is dead as a door nail. The lights do not even come one. The battery appears good as I put jumper cables on the battery and then touched the wire coming into the starter and it tried to start. I noticed the reverse safety switch stopped working last time I used it. Could this have something to why it won't work now.

Carey (Turtle) Moore :

Not entirely. Are you available to discuss this repair?

Customer:

yes

Carey (Turtle) Moore :

ok

Carey (Turtle) Moore :

There are a few different circuits and the start circuit is what we need to isolate and why it will not start. The reverse switch is present in the running mode.

Customer:

could it be a fuse?

Carey (Turtle) Moore :

Yes but we need to test a few things systematically so we know where our problem lies.

Customer:

its kinda coincidental that the reverse safety stopped working then the whole thing won't start

Carey (Turtle) Moore :

Ok we can run it down.

Carey (Turtle) Moore :

First

Carey (Turtle) Moore :

What do we have and what we dont. Do you have a test light?

Customer:

no

Carey (Turtle) Moore :

Multimeter?

Customer:

actually I might have one, but not sure. not at home at the moment

Carey (Turtle) Moore :

Ok, I can walk you through the whole process if you have any of these tools available. Would you like for me to outline the ste?s to isolate you problem? Now or when you get home.

Customer:

now please

Customer:

this is going a little slow for me is this a bad time

Carey (Turtle) Moore :

ok You know your battery is good because you bypassed the solenoid or jump straight to the starter. 1. The main cause of no start is that the exciter wire that is on the small post on the solenoid is not getting voltage. This is what makes the solenoid engage. We need to test for voltage here. If we do not have voltage we need to back track and make sure the ignition switch has power or check the fuse to the ignition switch.

Carey (Turtle) Moore :

I was outlining most of the checks for you to read. I am doing it from memory.

Customer:

ok. no problem

Customer:

what does the solenoid look like

Carey (Turtle) Moore :

Think of this circuit as on big circle. It voltage starts from the hot side of the solenoid, (big wire from battery)

Carey (Turtle) Moore :

From there it supplies the ignition switch.

Customer:

ok, it must be the small box sitting beside the battery

Customer:

the wire then runs to the starter. Is that right?

Carey (Turtle) Moore :

Correct that is why it is best to use a test light so you can see what you have.

Carey (Turtle) Moore :

Yes, solenoid has a starter wire on one side and battery wire on the other but the smaller post is the exciter wire we need to check.

Customer:

ok, good so far. I am copying this into a word document so I can take it home with me and try these steps.

Carey (Turtle) Moore :

When you get home i can make this much easier. You can pick up a test light at a parts store for less the $12. I would suggest having one for this repair.

Customer:

ok. If the solenoid does not have voltage then what?

Carey (Turtle) Moore :

I can give you my phone number and you can call when you get home.

Customer:

ok that would be great

Carey (Turtle) Moore : (NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>
Customer:

it will be about 2 hours

Carey (Turtle) Moore :

ok

Customer:

is there a way I can start it by bypassing everything and going right to the starter

Carey (Turtle) Moore :

Yes, but you want to do it correctly sooner or later.

Customer:

yes for sure, but I need to get the grass mowed today and wondered if I could get it started somehow then have time to work on it later

Customer:

I don't want to damage anything though.

Carey (Turtle) Moore :

I can get you going.

Customer:

good

Carey (Turtle) Moore :

Either way this site and experts can save you money on repairs so you can perform them on your own with our help. I will help you with whatever you need.

Customer:

can you tell me now

Carey (Turtle) Moore :

yes,

Carey (Turtle) Moore :

Turn the key to the on position. Lock out the parking brake, PTO off. Go to that solenoid and jump the two large poles with a screwdriver to crank the engine.

Customer:

PTO?

Carey (Turtle) Moore :

Blade engagement switch or yours maybe manual engagement to turn the blades on. Make sure the blades are not engaged.

Customer:

ok gotcha

Customer:

so if it starts I know it's the solenoid that's bad, right?

Carey (Turtle) Moore :

no it could be a safety switch or fuse also.

Customer:

ok

Carey (Turtle) Moore :

Let me know if you need anything else.

Customer:

make sure I understand...I take one screwdriver and touch to the wire coming into the solenoid from the battery and at the same time touch the same screwdriver to the wire coming out of the solenoid to the starter. right?

Carey (Turtle) Moore :

You got it.

Customer:

thanks talk to you later

Carey (Turtle) Moore :

ok

Customer:

Hi Carey...I wasn't able to work on the lawn mower on Friday night. I will be looking at it tonight and I do have a multimeter now. Please give me a call on my cell XXX-XXX-XXXX if you get this message tonight. Thanks.

Carey (Turtle) Moore :

I can't read you number. Did you text me today?

Customer:

I did text you about an hour ago with pictures of the battery, solenoid and starter. You must be on central time

Customer:

I couldn't get your texts to open on my ph one. I just got to the computer. It is too dark outside now. Can we try tomorrow night?

Carey (Turtle) Moore :

I don't get pics on my phone. I called a left message. Call me at 3:30.