Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have an MTD Yard Machine, 38" blade, riding Lawn Mower. I

I have an MTD Yard Machine, 38" blade, riding Lawn Mower. I prepped it for winter, took it out of my storage shed, put in new gas, checked out, turned the key and it started right up. I let it idle a couple minutes, then put it in forward, released the brake, and it didn't move. Tried again, tried it in reverse. Will not move. Checked the belt, it is not broken. It does start to smoke right out from under the mower after a couple minutes,and I shut off right away. Did that three times. Something must be froze up????????
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Did you have the brake set over the winter? The mechanical disc brake is stuck, keeping the unit from moving. Will the mower roll? If not the brake is the problem. It is just ahead of the right rear wheel, follow the brake linkage to it. The pads are stuck to the disc, You may be able to free it with a bar by tapping on it. If not, remove the linkage from the pedal, remove the two bolts holding the caliper and free up the pucks. Let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The mower will roll, so it's not the brake. What about the fact that smoke comes out below the engine as it sits running for just a couple of minutes? Does it truly only have one belt? It is a 38" deck, 6 speed, on-the-go, 13.5 hp, 344 cc's. Model #760-779.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will check my answer from you in the morning. How will I know it is not the clutch or the transmission. The Manual says its a Transmatic Lawn Tractor. Thank you for your assistance with this.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 years ago.
Smoke, and a burning rubber smell? That means here is a pulley that is not turning and he belt is slipping over it. Let me look at the model. It has two belts with a variable pulley between them. The variable pulley is always a trouble spot. Here is the sears parts diagram. http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Mtd-Parts/Riding-mower-tractor-Parts/Model-779/0736/1509200/P0502061/00007?componentDescription=TRANSMISSION%20760-779&brandDescription=MTD&searchTerm=