Carey (Turtle) Moore
Carey (Turtle) Moore, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Briggs & Stratton Master Tech, over 20 years exp all brands
14272076

I need a belt diagram for an old snapper riding lawn mower

Customer Question

Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Carey (Turtle) Moore replied 2 years ago.

Carey (Turtle) Moore :

Hi, hang on i will attach a link

Customer :

ok

Carey (Turtle) Moore :

This is the basic area. Look through this link.

Carey (Turtle) Moore :

I have a question before you start

Customer :

it doesn't show the belt diagram. maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place

Carey (Turtle) Moore :

Can you give me a little history. Is the belt original equipment or is this the first time it jumped off?

Customer :

I don't have a full history. we are renting a house and the mower is supplied by the person we are renting from. this was the first time I've used the mower. the link you sent didn't have anything about the belt. it had almost every other diagram of the mower except the belt

Carey (Turtle) Moore :

Ok. i can describe how to read each pulley and route the belt back on.

Customer :

ok

Customer :

there are four pulley's basically side by side and then one up towards the front

Carey (Turtle) Moore :

As you can see the belt is V shaped and Flat on the outside

Customer :

yes

Carey (Turtle) Moore :

Start from the spindles and work toward the engine. Flat side of belt goes to the flat idler pulleys and the V goes inside the V pulleys. Get it back on and pay attention to the length of the belt. We want to route it so that is routed in the correct direction.

Customer :

I'm not sure of the difference between the flat idler pulleys and the v pulleys

Customer :

are the v pulleys the two on the outside and the idlers the two on the inside

Carey (Turtle) Moore :

yes, you can see the ones that are flat and ones that are v shaped. Address them one at a time.

Customer :

are there only the five? it feels like there should be another one. there's still a lot of slack

Carey (Turtle) Moore :

ok. here is the hard part and it is hard explain ready

Customer :

yes

Carey (Turtle) Moore :

Move the deck engagement arm from engaged to disengaged and watch the tension pulley movement. Remember that each pulley should except at least half the diameter of the belt for proper alignment and tension.

Customer :

there's a good 1 or 2 feet of slack

Customer :

I don't know what the deck engagement arm is.

Carey (Turtle) Moore :

Hang on i think i found a better visual link.

Customer :

ok

Carey (Turtle) Moore :

we are going to have to use the first link You said you have about 2 foot left

Customer :

ya it's a lot

Carey (Turtle) Moore :

Coming from the left rear spindle take the belt to the front idler is it v shaped or flat

Customer :

the front one or the back one?

Carey (Turtle) Moore :

Front on the tension engagement arm.

Customer :

it's v shaped, but I don't see the arm. it looks like it's pretty stationary

Customer :

connected to the engine above it

Carey (Turtle) Moore :

look on the pics reference number 42 it appear to be a flat idler on the pivot bracket

Carey (Turtle) Moore :

lets focus on the deck only. There are 4 pulleys on the deck correct.

Customer :

yes

Customer :

the two in the middle are flat

Customer :

and t he two on the outside are v

Carey (Turtle) Moore :

take the backside of the belt from left rear blade pulley to the front most flat pulley then come from there back to the center most pulley making a large S shape with the belt.

Carey (Turtle) Moore :

This will take up that 2 foot slack you mentioned.

Carey (Turtle) Moore :

From there to the engine pulley out the front of the deck

Customer :

something still isn't right. that's not using up the slack.

Customer :

I found the engagement arm idler. it's attached to the rear right blade pulley

Carey (Turtle) Moore :

Sorry i will find visual diagram to help you. Give me a bit.

Customer :

ok

Carey (Turtle) Moore :

Im not having any luck. Give me the exact model on the tag and I will have the other experts get involved if they have access to this diagram.

Customer :

eh don't worry about it. I will just have to call someone to come out and fix it

Carey (Turtle) Moore :

Look at this 48" http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu146/gmhogan/scan0002-3.jpg

Carey (Turtle) Moore :

Full Size Image