Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.
18770454

My Toro 42" zero turn lawnmower does not start. I tried a new

My Toro 42" zero turn lawnmower does not start. I tried a new battery to no avail. The engine does not turn over. There is a single click and nothing happens.

Ranwell1 :

hi

Ranwell1 :

I will be happy to try to help you

Ranwell1 :

there are several possibilities that could be causing your problem.

Ranwell1 :

the first thing I would do is take the spark plug out and see if the engine will turn over with the plug out.

Ranwell1 :

If it does, then you have one of two problems.

Ranwell1 :

1. The cyinder may be full of gas or oil...cauing a hydro-lock.

Ranwell1 :

this is usually caused by a dirty carburetor that is bypassing gasoline into the oil then this thinned oil and gas will pass into the cylinder and lock up the engine.

Ranwell1 :

2. The engine itself may be locked up because of lack of oil. check the oil and see if it is full. if it is low, you may have an engine that is loicked up and will need major repair or replacement.

Ranwell1 :

If the engine Does NOT turn over, then there could be OTHER issues.

Ranwell1 :

1. the starter gear may be stuck in the flywheel and is locking up the eingine. You may need to loosen this starter ge4ar from the flywheel.

Ranwell1 :

2. You may have a bad solenoid that is not letting the proper amount of electricity pass to the starter.

Ranwell1 :

You can checkl this by taking a volt/ohm meter and hooking it up to the positive caple where it hooks to the starter. Turn the key on (Or actually have someone else sit on the seat and do it) and check to see that you have at least 2.4 volts of electricity at that point.

Ranwell1 :

If not, then you may have a bad solenoid.

Ranwell1 :

If the clicking that you hear is NOT the solenoid, then it may be just the fuel shut-off that is on the bottom of the carburetor. This is supposed to click lightly when the key is turned to the on position. if this is the click you hear, then that is normal and you may have a safety switch that is not working and will not let the starter work.

Ranwell1 :

These saafety switches are usually located on the clut/brake pedal and also on the mower engagement mechanism.

Ranwell1 :

Some of the mower engagement use an electric PTO switch and it can go bad and lit allow the safeties to work. Others have a manual mower engagement lever and there is a safety switch that the lever hits when it is disengaged. If this is not contacting the switch correctly or the switch is bad, the starter will not work.

Ranwell1 :

In any case, these are the most obvious thing sto check.

Ranwell1 :

Sometimes it is more difficult than a normal individual can diagnose and it might need to be taken to a good mower repair shop to be repaired.

Ranwell1 :

Good luck and let me know what you find.

Ranwell1 :

If you need any more help with this, you can contact me here at this question...even after you have hit the "ACCEPT" button to pay me for this answer.

Please click "ACCEPT" or I won't get paid.

You may also consider sending a "BONUS" if I have been helpful, Please leave POSITIVE feedback for me as this is how I'm rated. Remember, a neutral is nearly as bad as a negative. If not satisfied, contact me and I will make it right. Thanks