Rick
Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.
20444326

how to change the oil on a 20hp kohler riding lawn mower. where is the oil drain plug loca

Customer Question

how to change the oil on a 20hp kohler riding lawn mower. where is the oil drain plug locatd? where can i get an owner manual?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for choosing JustAnswer. I'll be helping you today and am committed to providing clear and concise answers to your question.

Here's where you should find the oil drain plug. Often there will be a short pipe attached there as well by the manufacturer to make it less messy to drain:

graphic

Since Murray (who made that Scott's unit) went bankrupt and was bought out by Briggs, there's not much in the way of support for the older units. I've linked to a parts list below that will hopefully be helpful.

Parts List

If it would be helpful I can also provide a shop manual for the engine, but I don't think you'll have much luck locating an owners manual on the rider itself, unfortunately.

Let me know, please.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

how do i remove to drain the oil? what size wrench should i use?

Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.
That depends on whether Murray put the extension pipe on there, but if it's just the plug that Kohler put there, most I've seen use either a 1/4" or 3/8" square drive such as a socket wrench or break-over bar, although I've also seen hexes on there. Once you eyeball it, it will be apparent exactly what you need. This owners manual will show you additional information as well on pages 3 and 6.

Engine Owners Manual