Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.

My troy bilt trimmer wont prime. The primer bulb is almost

My troy bilt trimmer won't prime. The primer bulb is almost brand new and has to holes or cracks.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for choosing JustAnswer. I'll be helping you today and am committed to providing clear and concise answers to your question.

Are the fuel lines also in good shape? Was this almost-new primer working previously? When was the last time the carburetor was cleaned?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Fuel lines are good and have no blockages. Carb was tuned 6mons. ago. Primer bulb was working fine last Sept. When I push the primer bulb I get no gas from the fuel tank through the lines. The primer diaphragm looks fine.
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.
I'm not sure what you are referring to as a primer diaphragm, but these systems are actually a purge rather than a primer, although that's what everone calls them. A primer supplies a richer mixture to the carburetor for starting, but all these purge systems do is to flush air from the lines and fill them with gas. So there's only a few things that can go wrong. If it's not working, then you either have a bad primer bulb, plugged fuel lines or in-tank filter, or plugging in the small ports of the carburetor on the fuel pump side.

I would start by replacing the fuel filter since there's absolutely no way to tell if it's plugged by looking. It's $2 well-spent in any case since the season is just starting. Just fish it out the fuel opening of the tank with a piece of bent wire and it's quick and easy.

Check the fuel lines for any hardening or cracking. Replace them if they are even slightly suspect. It doens't take much as all. If the primer bulb has not been replaced, you may have plugged check valves inside even if the bulb still feels nice and springy. If the bulb feels soft at all, it's definitely bad.

If this doesn't take care of it, then it's time for a carburetor cleaning and re-build.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted....