gpt61356, Handyman
Experience:  Familiar with small engines

My 2009 electric club car cart is a 4-12 volt batteries. when

Customer Question

My 2009 electric club car cart is a 4-12 volt batteries. when the switch is off there is still 48 volts coming through the electrical system which is draining the batteries. I have fully charged them and have taken the positive wire loose. The batteries do not drain. I live on a golf course which uses the exact same carts and they are having a devil of a time keeping their carts from quiting on the course. Is it normal for the cart to have 48 volts going through the system when the switch is in the off position? Please help me here! Thanks
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  al-mod replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I’m a Moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
still waiting for response
Expert:  al-mod replied 4 years ago.
Please understand that it’s rare when we cannot find the right Expert. Nevertheless, because you are entitled to your money back with no questions asked, we will process your refund immediately, upon your request. Please accept our sincere apology. We hope you’ll think of us again when the need arises.
Expert:  gpt61356 replied 4 years ago.
If you are reading 48 volts at the switch with the switch off then the first thing to consider is that the switch is faulty and still allowing the system to drain down by feeding something that drains the batteries. I would start by disconnecting the switch wires and seeing if you stop the power drain.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

This did not help. I think the switch only allows the computer to come on which regulates the voltage that goes to the electric motor that is generated by the amount of throttle thtat is pressed by the foot. I have talked to a Club car dealer and he has convinced me to bring it in for them to check. Therefore, I will not continue with this matter with you. Never the less, I certianly do appreciate you sending me an answer. I do a lot of work on many small engins and I will definately use this answer service in the future. A refund will be accepted unless you feel that your time in this was worth the amount charged, no problem. Thank you for your support.

David Farnsworth - [email protected]

Expert:  gpt61356 replied 4 years ago.
That will be a good check to see what is really happening. If the switch is actually a solenoid it is highly likely that the solenoid is feeding power to one of the car systems that is making the current drain. If you traced each wire and took a reading you could most likely identify the circuit or circuits pulling down the batteries. For a refund go through customer service. Thank you for using Just Answer.