Tim K
Tim K, Technician
Experience:  Service Manager and technician for small engines and lawn equipment
57226730

wiring 17.5 to 15hp kohler engine

Customer Question

wiring 17.5 to 15hp kohler engine
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Tim K replied 2 years ago.

Tim K :

Hello, welcome to Just Answers. My name is Tim, and I would like to help you with your question

What model kohler are you putting in?

Tim K :

also will need the spec number of the kohler engine please

Customer :

model # is CV491S
Spec of engine is 27509 XXXXXXXXXX /p>

Tim K :

ok let me look it up and walk you through it.
do you also happen to have the model and type for the 17.5?

Tim K :

Typical wiring for kohler is such
Purple for the positive charging wire.
White for the kill wire for the ignition coil

Red for positive power supply to the fuel solenoid

Green for oil pressure switch

Blue for starter solenoid

You will not have all of these, so the ones you done have you can disreguard, such as the starter solenoid and the oil pressure switch

Tim K :

The wiring for briggs engine can vary slightly, but you will normally have
Grey wire for the positive power spply to fuel solenoid

Black kill wire for ignition

The positive output for the charging system varies depending on what you have. It usually ends up either red or orange

Tim K :

That leaves you with:

Black from the old to white on the new

Grey from the old to red on the new

And red or orange from the old to purple on the new.

one of the most important things to do is double check the wiring with a meter to make sure you are hooked in correctly. if any of the colors are different from the engine then what i have told you, let me know so i can make sure. some of the briggs engines have some funny colors on the charging system,

the kill wire and solenoid wire are almost always the black and grey

Customer :

The plug in on the engine is different than the harness-what do I need to do?

Tim K :

you will have to cut and splice, or find a change over.
unless you are planning to use the old engine for something, i would cut the wiring from the engine side so you can keep the plug

Tim K :

then you can undo the plug and wire it up to the new motor before you drop it in.

Tim K :

here is a link to a nice service manual for your kohler engine as well. it may come in handy for you.
link
Let me know if there is anything else i can do for you. i will check back here later if you need any further assistance

Customer :

Do not have the old engine, so I will have to order the plug in from John Deere. Need to know what wire plugs in where on the end. Also, I was not able to open the link for the Kohler manual. Can you please resend? Thanks.

Tim K :

what model deere was it on, and what color wires do you have from the machine.

here is the link again, it is directly to a pdf file, and the file is too big for me to up-load it on the j.a. server. .. link

Customer :

model was l110 going on lt155 color on mower black red black white

Tim K :

i am not familiar with those wiring colors... an y chance you have a meter to measure voltage and ohms? if you do we can figure out which wire is which..

Tim K :

I have a few small deere riders here at my shop, it looks to me that the white from the tractor goes to the kill wire, and the red to the charging output wire. the ones i have also have a yellow for the fuel solenoid, and black to ground.

Tim K :

you can check your wires to find out which they are by doing a voltage test on them, using terminals as positive, and seeing where you are getting voltage at each stage of the key switch.

and again checking for continuity to ground at each terminal at each stage of the key switch.

Tim K :

if you can do these checks, and report to me what you find, i should be able to tell you which wires go where that way

Tim K :

One other thing, does the mower have an electric pto or a lever to engage the deck?