Jon K.
Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert
Experience:  Gold certified Stihl tech, Service Manager for a rental/repair shop.Certified in most small engines
29067132

i just brought a new Briggs 675 series model 120000 series,

Customer Question

i just brought a new Briggs 675 series model 120000 series, added gas, and oil, pushed primer 3 times, pulling the cord is very hard. Pull out slowly, than rapidly, the engine won't even turn over. I check the spark plug, choke on in the middle, this model does not have a stop lever, any advise to start?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Jon K. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is Jon and I will do my best to help you find the answer you need to resolve your problem.

Can I get the full model number and code off this engine? Also is this a replacement engine? How much oil did you put into it and have you checked that it is not overfull. Also since you say the mower? does not have a stop lever have you set the brake on the flywheel to be off. usually the stop lever or bail on the handle that you hold does two things, it holds the flywheel brake open when held in and it keeps the ignition coil from being grounded when it is held in allowing the engine to run

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I read that the serial number is part of the model number 1103245809689,
my son just came in and said, he pushed a spring in on the muffler side and it started up, is the the flywheel brake???
Expert:  Jon K. replied 2 years ago.
That is the flywheel brake and the ignition kill switch. The spring g keeps the brake on and the ignition grounded so it won't fire. Pull the spring and that releases the brake and allows the ignition to fire
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
per my husband I am to cancel/STOP the inquiry and take it to a shop..sorry
Expert:  Jon K. replied 2 years ago.
No problem, and no need to bring it in to a shop now that you know why it would not start. Good luck with your project
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
he wants it to go to the shop, it's running slow and the engine is used for a log splitter. I want to cancel my question..please, i guess i need to click on a blue button contact us to cancel/refund..thank you