Chris (aka - Moose)
Chris (aka - Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Hello, I have a GX670 honda 24 hp v-twin engine. It shut off

Customer Question

Hello, I have a GX670 honda 24 hp v-twin engine. It shut off a few days ago found a coil smoking (the left one) I replaced it started up but would not run under a work load. The motor is on a portable sawmill. I pulled the right side spark plug & found the the spark was real weak even missing at times. I put a new coil on the right side put new plugs in both sides runs good until I put it under a load. I pulled the right side spark plug & checked the spark it was still weak. My questioned is what is causing the low spark & is this causing the engine not to operate correctly under a load? thanks Don
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Chris (aka - Moose) replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

Weak spark can result in low performance and lower power at high speeds. Possible causes for weak spark are going to be the coils spaced incorrectly from the flywheel or there is a concern where as the stop diode is sending some ground to your coils. I would disconnect the stop diode and see if you get the same results. If you do not then check and see if the diode is getting a ground signal. You can stall the engine if it does run well by choking out the air intake.

graphic

Chris (aka - Moose), Technician
Experience: 16 years of experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am back withanother problem with my Honda GX670. I got the firing under control & the lose of power now the engine revs at full throttle to 4800 rpm. I had some friends helping me with my other problems & seems someone adjusted what appears to be the governor not the throttle screw. It is a 10 mm nut they loosened and the springs pulled it toward the throttle side making the engine rev up really high. My questioned is how can I adjust this back? Thanks Don

The terms of service on JA states one concern per post, unless its a follow up related to the original issue. I can lose my ability to work here if I answer this new question on this old post. You are more than welcome to open a new question and request me by name if you would like to.