bgsengineclinic, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in Small engine repair, Kohler Certified Expert Technician, Self-Employed in my own dealership.

I have a 25 ton mtd log splitter it seems to take to long

I have a 25 ton mtd log splitter it seems to take to long to kick down to second stage
when splitting a hard piece of wood

bgsengineclinic :

OK I see you have changed fluid and filter which would have been my first question :)

bgsengineclinic :

The only other things that may cause that issue would be the hydraulic pump itself - likely the pressure relief may be bypassing fluid, a worn hydraulic pump, slipping coupler between engine and pump

bgsengineclinic :

there is no rebuild kit for this or the hydraulic valve - only thing to do if cleaning the pump does not resolve it would be replacing the pump.

bgsengineclinic :

other than slipping lovejoy coupler or the pressure relief bypass in the pump or the hydraulic valve leaking - restricted flow from the wrong filter, there's just the pump left