Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

my generac guardian 8kw propane generator is extremely hard

my generac guardian 8kw propane generator is extremely hard to start especially in cold weather----i use the manual start button and have restart up tp 25 times before it finally turns over----any suggestions?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.

Hello!
Thank you for choosing Just Answer for the solution to your problem.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am going to assist you with this.

What are the model and serial numbers of the genset?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

model#(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

serial#5238812

generac guardian 8kw propane

Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.

Ok,

First let's see if the choke is operating correctly.

Remove the air filter cover.

Set the switch to MANUAL.

The choke should close and remain closed for the entire cranking cycle (do not let the engine crank for more than about 15 seconds at a time, stopping for 2 or 3 minutes to let the starter cool).

Does the choke close during cranking, and then reopen when cranking ceases?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it's raining right now----so that will have to wait----the air filter is inside a plastic black box (which has been replaced serveral times do to backfiring and breaking of the box) I guess I could tell by checking the choke lever position on the outside of the box rather than trying to see it which is almost impossible

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'll replay when the rain breaks----might be a couple of days
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.
You need to look at the choke plate itself - don't go by the control arm.

If you need to wait until the weather is better, that will be fine.

What was causing the backfiring?
How long ago was it?
Has it been running ok since then?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
dunno but had two valve adjustment which worked for awhile---last backfire was about 3 months ago---so taped up crack in box with aluminum tape----has been ok and then starting problems again another guy with same model had the same problem----backfire and busted box!!!!!!!!!!!
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.
Who did the valve adjustments - was it an authorized Generac technician?

Is your set still under warranty?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

people that installed my solar system etc----mechanic @ their shop adjusted

3yrs old don't know if still under warranty but so far no charges for valve adjustments of for "black" boxes

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've heard nothing but bad reports , from 4 different people about generacs----do you think I would be better off with an onan?????????
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.
As a professional, I am really not supposed to be biased.

But as a human, I can not help but be.

Personally, I would take an Onan over a Generac any day of the week. Or even a Briggs and Stratton.

But you also have to bear in mind, that when it comes to the sheer volume of home standby units out there, Generac has more than the lion's share of the market.
With as many units out there as they have, there are bound to be a few trouble units.
Just like with cars, if you have enough product on the market, you are bound to have a few units that will give you trouble.
Hank F., Technician
Experience: Certified on Onan and Generac generators