Vince O.
Vince O., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience repairing lawn and garden equipment. Chainsaws, mowers,blowers and trimmers
32407143

I have a toro ccr 3650 snow blower that started losing power

I have a toro ccr 3650 snow blower that started losing power after about 15 minutes of use. It is about 3 years old and is in great shape. It seems like the throttle is sticking, I can rev it up by manually turning the valve on top of the carb but it seems like it is sticking and not operating on its own. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Vince O. replied 2 years ago.

Vince O. :

Hello,when you were holding the throttle open did you notice if the governor spring was connected?

Customer:

Yes the spring is connected from the left side and seems like it should pull the throttle back when the motor needs more gas but does not. It has always worked with no problems and is still like new.

Vince O. :

When running it only has one speed fast. Does it sound like it's running normal?

Vince O. :

When you move the throttle shaft by hand does it move easy and spring back?

Customer:

When you first start it cold it runs at a higher idol with full choke, then comes down to normal idol pretty quickly and stays there which is normal, but when you try going thru snow it just bogs down instead of reving up (like the governor stopped working). The throttle does not spring back even though the spring is still attached. It moves free enough but I don't think its as smooth as it should be. Nothing seems to be out of place and it went form working perfect to this problem with no warning just snowblowing about 6 inches of light snow and then it sounded like it was running out of gas but was still half full. This snowblower starts off with a low idol then when you go thru the snow it gives more power as needed on its own there is no manual throttle adjustment.

Vince O. :

Did you have the carb off before?

Vince O. :

Here is a link to download the engine service manual for free.Go to page 32 fro the governer and linkage hook up to see if anything is out of whack. http://www.mediafire.com/?84ap6441inr6h21

Customer:

No nothing has been touched by anyone. It just started acting this way. It went from working perfect to the problem I have now. Do you think it could be gummed up in the carb around the butterfly?

Customer:

Just to let you know I run the machine out of gas before putting it away every season. I put fresh gas in when I first start it and it always starts 2 pulls. This year we had a storm in october and I did not drain or run the machine out of gas so gas has been in there for 3 months but the machine still started with 2 pulls but then started losing power after about 20 minutes after being used. Do you think the carb could have got gummed up and that could be causing the throttle or governor to be sticking? 2 cycle gas & oil mixture 50:1

Vince O. :

If it ran ok for approx 20 min I would think the carb is ok.When it loses power does it have a miss to it? loosen the gas cap when the problem occurs and see if that helps any in case of the vent being clogged and a vapor lock.

Customer:

No miss, just boggs down its like there is nothing giving the motor more gas for more power. It use to just rev up and get more power as you hit the snow. Tried with out the gas cap, no different. Gas cap seems to be venting fine. I can manually move the throttle on the carb and the motor revs up no problem it just won't do it by itself like it should. Something has stopped working for the throttle or governor to work properly I'm just not sure what it is.

Vince O. :

Did you download the manual and check out page 32? You can move the arm the gov spring connects to to increase the rpms

Vince O. :

Full Size Image

Customer:

Yes I can move the arm and increase the rpms, but this should be happening on its own when more power is needed, but is not. This picture is exactly what my set up looks like. If I move this lever to the left the rpms increase, to the right they decrease but it stays stuck where ever I position it to, it does not return on its own or operate by itself as power is needed.

Vince O. :

It only has one speed-fast and it probably sputters when running correctly until you put it under load then it smoothes out some.There is no throttle cable to regulate the throttle.

Vince O. :

If you bent the arm in too far you won't have enough power or it will stall under load.

Vince O. :

Do you by chance have access to a tachometer so you can set the rpms?

Vince O. :

Maybe I'm missing something here.Would you like me to opt out and see if another can help you?

Customer:

No I don't have a tach. Nothing is bent. I'm not sure why it just started to not run properly. Nothing happened to it. It just went from working fine to the problem I have now. It runs fine until you start going thru snow then it just bogs down. So whatever should cause the governor to kick up the rpms or at least keep the rpms constant has stopped working. I don't know how else to explain it. If you're not sure what this can be its ok, I know it can't be easy to figure this out just chatting. If you want to still try and figure this out I will tell you what I can or if you want to give it to someone else thats ok too. I apprecitate your time and advice.

Customer:

I looked at the repair manual. Thank you for sending it to me. Could the air vane be the problem?

Customer:

I'm still not sure what I should be doing to fix the problem. I'm ready to just take the carb off and check for gum or debris that could be making the throttle/governor stick. What do you think could be causing this problem?

Vince O. :

The shaft that the link and spring connect to should move freely and not stick or bind.Spray it with carb cleaner if needed to loosen if binding.Try bending the tab the spring connects to to the left to put more tension on it.Only move a little so the engine doesn't race.

Customer:

Thank You.

Vince O., Small Engine Technician
Experience: Over 30 years experience repairing lawn and garden equipment. Chainsaws, mowers,blowers and trimmers