Chris
Chris, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  20 years of servicing small engines of all kinds
5111025

I have a Toro CCR 2450 Snowblower with electric start. I tried

I have a Toro CCR 2450 Snowblower with electric start. I tried to start it for the first time this year. Last spring, I ran the engine until it was out of gas and then stored it. This morning I put gas in, primed it twice and tried to start it. Did the 5 seconds starting, 5 seconds rest. Didn't really try to start at all. At about the 6th try I heard a crunching type sound and the engine froze. The electric start would no longer turn the engine and I can't pull the cord at all, it's frozen. Do you think the engine is toast?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.

Chris :

Hello how are you

Customer:

Good, just don't want to use a shovel on my big driveway.

Chris :

I can surely understand that. This is a 2 stroke engine correct

Customer:

yes

Chris :

Here is what i suggest. Remove the spark plug and try to pull it over again, it is possible you could have just simply pumped too much fuel in the engine causing the lock up

Customer:

I don't think so, let me go try to pull it, the spark plug has been out about 30 minutes.

Customer:

No its dead frozen, if I pull any harder the cord will probably break.

Chris :

Thats not good. At this point the cylinder head will need to be remove and the cylinder inspected, if the piston and cylinder look good you likely have siezed crank bearings

Customer:

Is it worth trying to fix or should I just go get a new one. It's about 7 years old.

Chris :

If it were mine i would tear into it. Two stroke engines are very simple to repair and you dont have a transmission to deal with. You have nothing to loose at this point

Customer:

I was thinking the same thing when I started to take it apart and then I was thinking I would never remember how to put it back together. But you are right, if I break it no harm.

Customer:

Where are the crank bearings?

Customer:

I didn't think I could have run it enough to freeze the cyclindar

Customer:

But bearings make sense to me.

Chris :

Take pictures during the disassembly. Crank bearings are located at the end of the crankshaft.

Chris :

If you have any more problems or questions let me know. You will find a link back to this chat in your email. Please remember to click on the accept button, it is the only way i am compensated for my time....Thanks

Customer:

Okay, thanks.

Chris :

You are welcome. Good luck

Chris, Small Engine Technician
Experience: 20 years of servicing small engines of all kinds