Jeremy R.
Jeremy R., Technician
Experience:  15+ years of experience and a business owner.
8380480

I have a 1999 yamaha 700 Vmax. Im trying to get more power

I have a 1999 yamaha 700 Vmax. Im trying to get more power by tunning up, or replacing the clutch. Id like it to engage at 3500 to 3800 RPMs, but dont know much about clutching... What clutch, or springs should I use?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, and thank you for letting me try and assist you with your problem.
All you need to do to get a higher rpm engagement is change the spring.
You'll want a black one.
Cluctch kits are also good. Bender makes a good clutch kit for the vmaz.
Comes witha spring and a helix for about $200
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is it better to do the kit, or is the spring just as good? the sled is basically stock up until now. Ive ruduced the wieght by about 30 lbs off the front end, new studded track, and triple v-force reed valves. Im just looking to stay ahead of sleds in my class, and keep up with the ones above me without getting all crazy with piping and jetting. although its the lodgical fix, I believe the right clutching will do just as much.
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 2 years ago.
Depends on what you want.
you can handle the whole kit since you have a studded track.
If you're going for more pull than topend you can drop one tooth on the bottom gear in the gearcase and gain more pull and throw in a black primary spring and it will pull alot harder.
You'll have to get with a sled dealer to see if they have any gears lying around since your sled is 12 years old they might not be able to get those anymore.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Id like to get a little of both, more bottom end, while keeping the top end as well. that model and year is basically set up as a minor race sled to begin with from factory. Id like to keep the top end at 100 to 120 mph and leave enough bottom end to stand the sled up on take off. Thats why i figured 3500 to 3800 rpm range would be good, any more, and i think I'll be snapping drive belts left and right on a hole shot. The lighter 3500 rpm range should give me the snap I want without shredding belts. " correct me if Im wrong" but i think its the rpm range im looking for. It sounds like the kit might be the best answer for 200 bucks.
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 2 years ago.
You'll never get both. It's a give and take. I've raced against 700 vmax sleds.
You can keep it over 100 mph pretty easy.
Yeah that range of rpm is going to hit strong.
Once you get it setup. (I do recommend the kit)
Take it out warm it up and hamer on it.
You want a constant hard pull from 0 to 100 mph with not much transition.
If it revs out too fast you can put a softer spring in the secondary.
If it bogs put a stiffer spring in the secondary or heavier weights in the primary.
It's a delicate tuning chore to get it just how you want.
Contrary to popular belief. You don't want it to stand up on takeoff. That means you're loosing forward momentum by collapsing the rear suspension.
You want the front lowered and the front of the track suspension as low as you can get it so all horsepower is on the ground as much as possible.
You will eventually drop 1 jet size because wide open screaming across a field it will have just a faint crackle of a miss. That's because you're running stock pipes and jets.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the advice. sounds like the kit is what im going to do. Depending on the power range i have left for hill climbing, I may pipe and jet it anyways since it should be re jetted with the reed valves anyways. I use to race quads, so I know about keeping it on the ground for hole shots... Its just fun, and always sweet to watch a sled stand up and crawl away.

Thanks for letting me pick your brain sir, it was was pretty helpful.

Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 2 years ago.
Yeah it is cool to watch something like that stand up from horsepower alone.

Let me know if you need anything else.
Please don't for get to hit the accept button. I dont' get credit unless you do.
Jeremy R., Technician
Experience: 15+ years of experience and a business owner.