J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.

how to time a k341 16hp kohler engine ????? I rebilt this

how to time a k341 16hp kohler engine ????? I rebilt this engine completly, but I can not get the timing correct,it runs but labers bad. the manual says move the points mount bracket untill timing mark centers in the timing hole but when I retighten the mount bracket it goes back to where it was????? points are set at .20 thanks Gene.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer,

To adjust the points you just want to loosen the screw enough so that you can use a screwdriver to get into the notch to lightly pry the points to the correct gap. Adust the points with the engne running and a timing light for the best results. The static method works but it is not as good.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what rpm should I run the engine when timing it????? Are you saying ajust the points untill timing mark is in the sight hole and dont worry about the .20 setting???
That is correct. I do not have the manual in front of me, but it should be set with the engine at the maximum no load rpm as specified in the manual. Thinking it is around 3450-3600rpm.