Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

1992 Ez go gas golf cart with 295cc robin engine. The motor

Customer Question

1992 Ez go gas golf cart with 295cc robin engine. The motor cranks but when you mash the accelator pedal to the floor the engine starts sputtering and doesn't run at full capacity. What can cause this? I have adjusted the valves at .004, the timing belt is correct. Can someone please help
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Fuel filter been changed? Is the fuel pump sending full flow to the carburetor? Has the carburetor been cleaned? Any of these items can cause problem. Let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This is a brandnew engine with a new carburetor, the fuel pump is working properly and a new fuel filter has been installed. When the engine is running gas is being (sprinkle) sprayed out of carb.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 years ago.
Pull the exhaust and see if the engine will run. Maybe the exhaust is plugged.??
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The exhaust is not plugged. The engine runs fine half throttle but when pedal is fully engauged the motor starts lobbing and gas is sprayed in a fine mist out of carb. Can the timing be off a few degrees and cause this?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 years ago.
Timing is set by the flywheel key and can't be changed. If this was an older engine, the problem could be caused by the valve adjustment, but the timing should not be issue. The blowing back through the carburetor does seem to be timing related, but again , it is not adjustable. And you have tried it with the exhaust unhooked?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I took the exhast completly off the engine and there was no change on how it ran. With throttle halfway pressed the engine seems fine, but when you fully engauge the pedal the engine starts sputtering and doesn't run at full capacity. Has new spark plugs, I also tried two sets and still no change. Engine came with new coil, carb, and muffler.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 years ago.
You say timing belt has been checked. Does new carburetor have electric fuel shutoff? (anti backfire solenoid) Do you have old carburetor you could try?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have tried the old carb and still no change in how engine runs. Both carbs have no type of electronic controls on them at all.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 years ago.
I question the timing then. Let me opt out and see if you get any other response. Please don't respond to me as it will lock your question. sorry.