J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.
13636126

I have a Craftsman 247.88700 model snow blower. If I use the

I have a Craftsman 247.88700 model snow blower. If I use the electric start (plug from the wall outlet), I can get the engine to start. If I shut off the engine and try to start is using the pull string, you can pull 100 times and it won't start. Put the plug in, let the engine turn over and will start (after turning over many times). In contrast, I have a lawn mower, 8 yrs old and it starts with one pull, always! I do get some backfiring when I attempt to pull start the snow blower. Any suggestions?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.

Hello and Welcome to Just Answer,

The problem sounds like you have a plugged up passage in the carburetor in the starting circuit. When you use the electric start it cranks it over faster so it lets it start. Once it is warmed up then it is affecting the starting even moreso. I would rebuild the entire carburetor using a complete carburetor rebuild kit. I would also replace the fuel lines as well.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I forgot tomention, I replaced the carburetor last year - put in a new one. Prior, the engine wouldn't even run for more than a minute before stalling and if it did run longer, it wold stall under a load like blowing the snow. the new carb made it better but still not optimal running. As for the gas lines, gas pours our pretty fast. A carb kit a relatively inexpensive and perhaps bad gasoline has already fouled up the new carb. I also just bought a new spark plug at the store and will install that. In my opinion, an small 4-stroke engine should start in one or two pulls. This one has never fallen into that category, unfortunately. Any further suggestions wold be greastly appreciated.

Kind regards XXXXX XXXXX new year.

Alan

Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
It still sounds like a plugged up jet in the carburetor to me. The gas these days is garbage and turns to varnish in as little as 30 days. That engine should start within 3 pulls when primed.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't disagree and will go with your advice. However, why would my lawnmover (given it's a commercial Exmark) never, ever have a gas problem. Are the carburetors in the Tecumseh's just plain lousy?
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
Tecumseh is now out of business if that tells you anything.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you and Happy New Year!!
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you.