Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.
18770454

Have a Briggs 31hp Vanguard horizontal engine that will not

Customer Question

Have a Briggs 31hp Vanguard horizontal engine that will not start. Checked plugs, fuel pump, cleaned carburator, and cranks with fire but won't start. Almost like its not getting fuel. When you pore fuel down tube to carburetor still won't start. Need help
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 2 years ago.

Ranwell1 :

hi

Ranwell1 :

These engines are really pretty simple.

Ranwell1 :

They need Spark,
Fuel,
Compression

in order to run.

Ranwell1 :

Obviously one or more of these is missing.

Ranwell1 :

If you are sure that there is spark on both plugs, then for now we will assume that the spark is ok.

Ranwell1 :

Next, we talk about fuel.

Ranwell1 :

Gasoline CANNOT be used if it is over 30 days old. Old gas will not burn correctly and might leep it from running. Make sure that the fuel is fresh.... als make sure that you are using GOOD 89 octane gas. Regular 87 octane fuel has been causing problems since it has changed formulas.

Ranwell1 :

The last isue would be the compression.

Ranwell1 :

Take the spark plugs out and use a GOOD compression tester to test the compression. If the compression is LOW, then there could be a problem with the valves.

Ranwell1 :

These engines should have the valves adjusted at least every two years or more often.

Ranwell1 :

Usually the clearances are set between '004 and .005" between the valve stems and the rocker arms when the valves are completely closed.

Ranwell1 :

Some of them might have a slightly different setting, but these settings should be good enough to get you going.

Ranwell1 :

Here is a video that should help you try to adjust the valves.

How to set the valves on overhead engines. B & S

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjzX-PUjKmo

Ranwell1 :

Here is the Service manual for your engine (I hope) If this is not the right manual, let me know what your model and type number of the engine and I will find the right manual.

Ranwell1 :

If you need any more help with this, you can contact me here at this question...even after you have hit the "ACCEPT" button to pay me for this answer.

Please click "ACCEPT" or I won't get paid.

You may also consider sending a "BONUS" if I have been helpful, Please leave POSITIVE feedback for me as this is how I'm rated. Remember, a neutral is nearly as bad as a negative. If not satisfied, contact me and I will make it right. Thanks

Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.