James W
James W, Small Engine Troubleshooting Expert
Experience:  7 years as Mechanic & Parts Manager for Brother who has Owned Lawn & Garden Repair shop for 35 years
18589515

Troy-bilt Snowblower Model 31A562N2711 (Storm 2410) Engine

Customer Question

Troy-bilt Snowblower Model 31A562N2711 (Storm 2410)
Engine Troybilt OHV 179cc #D14938AC
Looking for oil change instructions/specifications Owner manual for unit says "check manual for the engine" Where can I find that?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  James W replied 3 years ago.

James W :

Greetings, My name isXXXXX and I am here to help the best I can. My goal is 100% satisfaction. Let's get started.

James W :

I am sorry for the wait

James W :

your engine is listed as a

James W :

Engine179cc* OHV 4-Cycle Troy-Bilt™
James W :

In other words, a few years ago, Troy-bilt went out of business and MTD bought them out

James W :

ALL MTD did was put the Troy-bilt name on their existing line of MTD Cheap Snow throwers

James W :

Worse yet, this is not a Briggs and Stratton or Tecumseh or Kohler engine

James W :

They call it a Troy bilt engine, but the truth is

James W :

MTD has contracted with a little know chinese manufacturer of engines who make engines very cheaply

James W :

Unfortunately, they do not even publish engine manuals

James W :

BUT

James W :

if this is made the same as most

James W :

there should be a small SQUARE metal Plug at the base of the crankcase

James W :

of the engine usually near the rear

James W :

You would remove the dip stick and remove this plug

James W :

the oil should drain completely into the pan that you have provided

James W :

then screw the plug back in

James W :

you will fill the engine with new oil up to the line on the dip stick labled FULL

James W :

no lower and no higher

James W :

most snow throwers use 10W30 motor oil (Not the same as used in a lawn mower engine)

James W :

Usually it will uses somewhere between 16 and 20oz of oil

James W :

Do NOT over fill because you can blow the oil seals of the engine

James W :

do not underfill because your wngine will suffer and die from oil starvation.

James W :

Are you able to see the square metak Plug?

Customer:

Suggestions I have received are: 1st oil change after 5-6 hours to remove break-in oil, use 30W, then change yearly or 25 hours. Can follow the directions you just described. Is the 10W30 a better choice than just 30w?

Customer:

Also, should I do this (first) oil change, then change again at a more frequent interval?

Customer:

Yes, the drain plug is at the end of a small tube allowing easy removal.

James W :

you dio not use 30W in snow throwers as it is too thick

James W :

use SAE 30 in lawnmowers

James W :

and then only if the temp is above 50 degrees, else

James W :

if the temp is less than 50 degrees F you use 10W30

James W :

Normally, I would suggest break in oil removal at 2 hours

James W :

but on snow throwers, they never get warm enough in 2 hours to really break in, so yes 4 to 5 hours is best

James W :

then TWICE a year after that with normal use

James W :

The reason you can get away with longer on a snow thrower than a lanw mower is because the DIRT is just not in the air

James W :

Lawn mower oil does not usually wear out, it just gets dirty because of the environment it runs it

James W :

if you change oil more often such as 20 hours, in the snow thrower and 13 or 14 hours in the lawn mower

James W :

you will double the engine life

James W :

ALSO, NEVER EVER allow gas older than 30 days old to be in contact with any part of the carburetor

James W :

that means buy gas in tiny quanitities

James W :

and when it hits the 30 day mark, pour it in your car and go buy more fresh gas

James W :

these cheap carbs in todays engine combined with the junk gas that all contains alcohol is a terrible combination

Customer:

Great, you've answered my questions regarding interval and oil type. I see no type of oil filter on the engine; is there something I should be looking for? I'm draining last years gas now (even though I put Staybil in it.

James W :

and before you ask.

James W :

STABIL does not work in gas with alcohol in it

James W :

Make sure to get the gas out of the carburetor

James W :

make sure to get the gas out of the carburetor before starting it

James W :

then run it a while with fresh gas to clean it out

Customer:

Good to know. I run all gas out of my outboard each year, I'll do that with this machine as well.

Customer:

Thanks.

Experience: 7 years as Mechanic & Parts Manager for Brother who has Owned Lawn & Garden Repair shop for 35 years