Jeremy R.
Jeremy R., Technician
Experience:  15+ years of experience and a business owner.

I have aquired a Alton generator ( AT04106-D ) It will start

I have aquired a Alton generator ( AT04106-D ) It will start and run ,but when its placed under load it backfires , misses and dies . Most times it will pick back up and run if the load is removed and the choke is pulled.There is 2 green wires coming from the bottom of the carb thats not connected to anything. Could that be the problem ? The owners manuel got wet and all the pages is stuck together.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, and thank you for letting me try and assist you with your problem.
Sure sounds to me like you need a new fuel solenoid.
The two wires to the bototm of the carb feed battey voltage to the solenoid which lets fuel flow. while the engine is running.
It sounds like yours is stuck partially open and with the wires not hooked up to power it's not going to change anything.
It's supposed to not let the engine run at all without voltage so it's obviously bad.
Jeremy R., Technician
Experience: 15+ years of experience and a business owner.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If I get a new soliniod where should I connect the wires
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 2 years ago.

The solenoid requires battery voltage all the time to keep the engine running.
I'm sorry I don't have a wiring diagram infront of me.
I'm trying to dig one up.
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 2 years ago.
I don't have a manual specific for that machine.
Here's Alton's customer service number. They should be able to email you a wiring diagram for that unit.
1-888-899-0146

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Looks like I need to contact the factory to get a new manuel
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 2 years ago.
Yeah they only answer the phone monday through friday too. So you'll have to wait until then.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK ,Thanks
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 2 years ago.
Here's a picture of a common generator like yours .Wire colors may be different but here's how it works.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.
Your problem is not a bad solenoid - this is only a dummy solenoid (non-functional), and should not be connected to anything.You need to clean the carburetor.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.
Here is the rest of my answer, for some reason I could not post it with the information I gave you above.

As gas gets old, it turns to varnish and clogs up the passageways inside the carburetor, not allowing enough gas to get to the engine.
This condition is cumulative. Every time gas sits, the varnish builds up just a little more, like coats of paint, until eventually gas can not flow. It will not happen overnight, but the symptoms can show up all of a sudden, even while simply stopping to refill with gas.
The use of fuel additives, such as Sta-Bil or Sea Foam will not stop this process from happening. They will greatly slow it down, but the gas will still go bad.

When this happens, either the engine simply will not start, or it will not run without the choke on (this reduces the amount of air getting pulled into the engine, changing the fuel/air mixture), or it will run but surges.

Another issue that varnish in the carb can cause is that the varnish may not allow the float needle to seal properly against the seat, causing the flow of gas to not shut off when the bowl is full. The result will be gas overflowing the carb and running into the cylinder, and possibly out the air intake. If the gas gets into the cylinder, it will seep past the rings and down into the crankcase. This will be evidenced by your oil level being over-full and/or the oil smelling like gas.
If this is the case, you will need to change the oil and filter, if it has a filter.
Varnish can also cause the float needle to stick shut, and not allow any gas to flow from the carb bowl into the engine.

The only 2 solutions are to either replace the carburetor or give it a good, thorough cleaning.
When removing the carb, make sure to take a good picture, or make a good drawing of where all springs and linkages are attached. This will make reassembly much easier.
Most people believe that cleaning a carb involves removing the bowl and wiping it out, then spraying some carb cleaner through it.
This is simply insufficient.
To properly clean the carb, you must remove it, disassemble it (making sure to remove all non-metal parts), and soak it in a commercial solvent for several hours. Soaking it overnight is even better.
Then clean all solvent off with a spray type carb cleaner, making sure to get lots of cleaner into every hole and passage there is. Pay special attention to the tiny holes in the bore of the carb, under the throttle plate for the carbs that have these holes. Use lots of cleaner. And make sure to wear safety goggles to avoid getting the over spray into your eyes. There will be over spray.
Dry the carb with low pressure compressed air.
When reassembling the carb, make sure to use a carb kit, when one is available for your carb.

Occasionally, even a good cleaning is not going to be sufficient, and you may end up having to replace the carb anyhow. Be prepared for this.

Also, I have a copy of the owners manual, if you would like me to upload it for you, just let me know.
The schematic in the manual clearly shows no fuel solenoid.