Jon K.
Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert
Experience:  Gold certified Stihl tech, Service Manager for a rental/repair shop.Certified in most small engines
29067132

V twin 724cc Briggs and Stratton engine ignition problem I

Customer Question

V twin 724cc Briggs and Stratton engine ignition problem

I have a White Static Drive 50 inch deck mover with the B&S 724 V twin engine. Recently while mowing the motor slowed down hesitated and stalled. It would not engage the starter after that. I felt the starter and the starter solenoid and they both were HOT to the touch with the ignition in the ON position. Evertyattempt to start the mower failed. I had the battery checked and it needed a recharge so I just replaced it (it was three years old), then I had the starter checked and it failed the voltage check so I replaced it. Still the starter would not engage. It attempted to engage the would stop. On a rare occasion it would engage the flywheel then stop in a few seconds. All this time both the starter and the solenoid would stay HOT when the key was in the ON position and once or twice the starter smoked then I would immediately turn off the ignition. I replace the starter solenoid and I still have the same starting problem. What am I missing?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Jon K. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is Jon and I will do my best to help you find the answer you need to resolve your problem.

It sounds like your ignition switch does not know the difference between start and on and is constantly sending voltage to the solenoid. Do you have a test light or a volt meter? If you do you can check at the small wire going into the solenoid coming from the ignition switch. You should only have power there only when the switch in the start position

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'll have to check that out it will take a while and I'll get back to you.
Expert:  Jon K. replied 2 years ago.
No problem, let me know what you find
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
waiting for new swirch to see if that is the problem
Expert:  Jon K. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I'll be interested to hear the outcome
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
just replaced the ignition still the starter attempted to engage then nothing in the start mode. The seloniod is still heating up in the ignition ON mode and the starter probably would if I keep the key in the ON mode.What now? Have I damaged the new starter and new starter solenoid prior to replacing the ignition? I have looked for any positive grounding from the wiring harness and cannot find any. Is the voltage regulator on the engine tied to the starting circuit?Could it be bad?
Expert:  Jon K. replied 2 years ago.
The voltage regulator does not effect starting. At this point I would be looking at the starter and remove it and have it bench tested
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
unfortunately I pulled the valve covers and found that on one of the intake valves the pushrod had slipped out and went into the crank case via the oul return.Even though the engine turned over manually without any effort. the rod mujst still be in the cank. Also the exhaust push rod was bent. Somehow all this is related to the inability of the ignition to engage. Again the starter is new.
Expert:  Jon K. replied 2 years ago.
That will do it. You will need to remove the head and should be able to pull the lost push rod right out. Double check the valve seats while the head is off, it is possible one seat has also become dislodged. If it is Ok then replacing the push rods and resetting the valve clearance should have you back up and running.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had to give it over to a shop to perform the head removal and check the ignition status after that is repaired. once I get it back I will accept your answer and pay Be patient.
Expert:  Jon K. replied 2 years ago.
No problem Sir, once the valve clearances are set your ignition should turn the engine over normally